FIXED 790.48443410 Kenmore Double Oven F045 Fault

mjunod

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Trying to track down for sure what is causing an F045 error on a Kenmore Double Oven. Top oven works perfectly, but the lower oven sets this whether or not the top oven is being used. I'm finding that this appears to be manufactured by Frigidaire/Electrolux, but I've seen references to the 790 prefix being from Fedders? I see a Electrolux control board inside, and I've tried removing and replacing the 3-wire connector between the MACS1 connector on the 316474930 Controller (Clock Disp) board and the 316475802 EOC (Oven Control board)

Clock displays F0 45, and I'm not sure it F0 is separate from the 45 code or not. From other posts I've read, it seems Sears service doesn't recognize the F0 code. Its a new oven (from a utilization point of view) but I think it was sitting in a warehouse for awhile and had some lower oven door damage when we bought it so I don't think it would be covered under warranty.

When I chat with Sears they simply recommend replacing the EOC but why would a new oven have to have this replaced, I'm wondering if there is a jumper or similar configuration that is not correctly setup. I've also read that you need to replace the Controller (Keypad) to correct the issue.

Thoughts?

M

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

790. is a Frigidaire/Electrolux built Kenmore.

I couldn't find any F045 codes. Is there a tech sheet inside that has these codes?

jeff.

mjunod

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

I looked through all the documentation, and there wasn't anything showing fault codes, they just refer to Sears Service beyond the basic failure modes of 'doesn't heat' etc..

Someone wrote the software that is reporting the faults, so they would know exactly what it is trying to say. I tried calling Electrolux, and as soon as I indicated it was a Kenmore, they dumped me to a Sears help line, which isn't getting me anywhere.

Not sure where to go from here, they say to replace the EOC, but since the top oven functions perfectly, and the keyboard is common between the two, all you do is press Upper Oven or Lower Oven and it directs the control to that unit.

Marc

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Someone wrote the software that is reporting the faults, so they would know exactly what it is trying to say
When ranges started to have fault codes....an F3 was suppose to be a bad temp sensor, so we change the temp sensor....didn't help....so we change the board, sometimes would help, sometimes had to change the touch pad....most times we ended up changing all 3 at the same time because we couldn't rely on the fault code telling us the correct info :(
Still trying to find a tech sheet for this unit.

jeff.

mjunod

Premium Member
If it helps at all, when I start the lower oven, everything seems fine, but between 20-40 seconds later, it reports the F045 fault and shuts down. The oven DOES start to heat up. I don't understand why if it is indeed the EOC or Keyboard, it wouldn't be tripped using the top oven as well. Seems like it would be something specific to a functional component of the lower oven (fan, elements, temp sensor, door sw, etc)

mjunod

Premium Member
So I may have fixed it. After being advised that I could talk to Tech support and they would help me walk through and diagnose the problem, I attempted to reach Electrolux tech support, but apparently they wont talk to you unless you have a tech service license. What I did do though, is carefully remove, inspect and replace each of the connectors on the EOC board. Nothing appeared to be loose or damaged, or have any spread terminals.

When I restored power, it appears to be heating now without triggering a fault code. I'll see how long that lasts and report back. I still think it would be worthwhile to publish a fault matrix if you find one. They give you a basic schematic, and a circuit board layout, but no fault code matrix. Maddening!!!

bbirder

Premium Member
Mjunod, I have had nothing but misery with this error code. Sears has replaced this oven 3 times over 6 months and I'm still having problems. I think I know more about it than their techs. Give me a shout. I know that if you reset the breaker it will work for a while. :wall:

Are you still following this thread.

mjunod

Premium Member
Hi bbirder, I have found that on my particular oven, that even after the procedure above (which I assume was due to some corrosion on the terminals) that I still occasionally get the fault. For me, if the lower oven is started in Broil, it can appear very infrequently, but when it does, simply hitting 'Clear' and restarting the oven in Bake (with or without convection) until the initial heating gets underway will get it past the failure. Then you can restart the oven in Broil and it functions fine. I think they may have a bug in the control software that looks for temperature thresholds within a certain startup time frame. Once the sensors see heat above a certain point, they know the oven started up correctly and allow the cook cycle to continue.

Let me know if this gets you anywhere.

I would really like to hear from someone at Electrolux on what EXACTLY this fault is indicating. SOMEONE wrote the software that puts that fault up on the screen, with all the part sub-sourcing that has gone on, we just can't get far enough up the development chain to get an answer. Frustrating!

bbirder

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. I'm going to try your fix, but really think that Sears should make this good. They offered my money back or another oven, but how do you tell a wife that her oven won't match the rest of her appliances! LOL
I'll let you know how it goes.

bbirder

Premium Member
Data sheets (rev a & rev b),

mjunod,
See file attached. 8 pages. First 4 are REV A from my first two ovens. 2nd is REV B from my third oven. Notice the differences.REV A pg 3 error codes end with F33 and begin pg 4 with F50. On REV B pg 6 shows F45 added continuing to F46 on next pg. Both reference cooling fan speed too slow or too high. It seems they found the problem and printed Revisions but didn't train their work force on them. These pages were attached to top of oven and I never saw a tech reference them. They always called in to check the reference call or looked on the computer they carry. It looks like J10 on the EOC is an optional fan speed sensor. I would bet on that being the culprit, if it is even installed being it is optional.

View attachment Data Sheet & Circuit Diagram scan0018.pdf

Last edited:

mjunod

Premium Member
Hi bbirder,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town over the holiday. Thank you so much for that information!

That omission in the earlier version of the manual seems to be causing quite a bit of confusion. These missing cooling fan faults definitely leaves a hole in the diagnostics. I will investigate this and let you know what I find.

Thanks Again!

mjunod

Premium Member
Following up to the updated manual that bbirder sent:

I took the top access plate off and inspected the top unit cooling fan, and found that the was in fact rubbing on the housing due to the housing being 'tin canned' or buckled slightly. I tweaked the housing that holds the fan in place and it now spins freely, so hopefully there will not be any future occurrences of the F045 fault, but certainly refer to the update manual, it contains additional fault information that certainly needs to propagated out to all the service centers so they can help people that have this fault showing up.

Thank you again to bbirder for the updated manual that listed the fault!

dml1333

I realize that this thread is a little old, but wanted to report a slightly different "fix" based on the help provided here.

I've had the F0 45 err code for a couple of years, but had never found any listing of what the error meant. Thanks to bbirder, we now now that this means that the cooling fan speed is low. After pulling my oven (single Model 790.48353410) and the top cover, my fan appeared to spin freely with no scraping. So I pulled and re-seat the connectors related to the cooling fan and speed sensor, but then also lifted out the cooling fan itself. What I saw was that some of the insulation that is between the walls of the oven was protruding into the fan area and looked like it was rubbing the plastic fan. It didn't make any noise, and from the top, the fan "appeared" to be spinning freely, but I suspect that the insulation slowed the fan down during start-up which is when I would get the error. I just tucked the insulation back away from the fan area, and that seemed to have fixed it! Time will tell for sure.

Thanks again to the posters on this forum!

bbirder

Premium Member
The post by dml1333 brought the oven misery back to me as it has been error free for some time now. I thought I'd add for anyone having this problem the last little "error" I found. On the last visit by a tech I demanded that t hey talk with the factory on a phone call to help diagnose the problem. The factory man started from the beginning and had the tech trace wires from the board to the connections. When he got to the black wire from the board he started following it over the top and straight down the back to the middle of the lower oven and found it hanging loose and not connected. it was right by the terminal it went on but was kinda hidden from view. Did it come loose or was it not terminated during assy? I think the latter IMHO. I think this was j9 wirer but it was a black wire and ran right down thee back of the oven. Just another small thing to check. Hope no one has the problems I had.