• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 790.48832900 Kenmore oven has power but won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevekTexas

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore 790.48832900 built in oven stopped working - first indication was a burning electronics odor and display went off. I thought it was the control board, but after replacing that, still no luck. I checked the power and am getting 120V on the L2 input to the control board (I don't believe I have power on the L1 input to the control board - not sure if that is supposed to be hot or not). The interior of the oven also has an odor of burnt electronics.

Any suggestions on other parts that may be broken and are required for the oven controller to function?

I wouldn't think a faulty heating element or temperature sensor would cause this problem.

It's a built-in oven and I was hoping to avoid having to pull it out and I was hoping to avoid needing to have a repair technician come to my (now self-isolated) home.

Thanks,

Steve

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 220 VAC across L2-IN and L1 on the EOC. If the voltage is not correct measure the voltage where the power line connects to the machine.
3 and 4 wire power cord.jpg

StevekTexas

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Thank you very much - I pulled the oven out, removed the back cover and found the problem immediately. The black power wire (L1 input) had burned through inside the oven back panel but before it reached the bus bar - see photo below. Scorched insulation across a few wires (the yellow wires are damaged) and the black wire is completely severed. While I could replace the damaged wires, my concern is that something in the oven malfunctioned, causing a large surge in current - which could happen again if I just repair the wiring. It's also possible that the controller was at fault and if I replace the controller as well, then all will be good (and I have a new controller).

Do you have an opinion on whether this is repairable or whether we are better off buying a new oven? The unit is less than 6 years old, so that kind of fries me...

If I replace the oven, I would also want to replace the conduit-ed wiring harness that goes to back wall (wires look fine at the other end of the harness, but I haven't tried to inspect the wires in the conduit. Is that harness something that typically comes with a new oven purchase - or is it sold separately...

Thanks you again for your assistance,

Steve

20200325_093939.jpg

StevekTexas

Premium Member
Thanks Rick - I'll try that. Any reason to believe that it won't happen again? (e.g. any guesses based on experience why it happened this time - wire fatigue?)

Steve

StevekTexas

Premium Member
Yep got that. Under further inspection, it looks like the problem might have started at one of the connectors to the bottom heating element. The tab is pretty fried so I think I'll replace that too.

Many thanks,

Steve

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's what it looked like to me also. The wire probably got hot from resting on the bake element terminal and melted then shorted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Steve,

You will need to replace the bake element as well, the right terminal looks very burnt and it will be impossible to put a new wire terminal spade on it like that.

Here's the bake element for your model:
318254906 Bake Element

Jake

StevekTexas

Premium Member
Thanks Jake and Rick. The new bake element should be arriving today (shocked that it is that fast). I've finished the wiring splice for the bake element (shown in photo below). Any objections about the plastic jacket on the new yellow lug or using the red twist wire connector for the splice? The black electrical tape is only for strain relief - I could use a plastic cable tie instead if that is a better option.

Thanks again for all of your advice - it's nice to have some experience looking over your shoulder.

Steve

Attachments

StevekTexas

Premium Member
BTW - thanks Jake and Rick. All replacement parts arrived, I installed them, and the oven works again.

Much appreciated!

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Steve. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.