790.70502013 Kenmore gas stove, how to raise cooktop.

tireshark

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I need to get the top off to replace one of the burner igniters, but I cant get it up. Does anyone know what is holding it in place?

I have all the burners and screws removed from the cooktop (tenants stove, pretty messy). I also have both of the front metal tabs out of their holes, but it still wont lift up.

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

If all burners are off, all burner screws are removed, front push clips are released.....burner bases greased under the cooktop?.....cooktop catching on the guides at the top front of the side panals?.....don't know what else might stop it.

jeff.

tireshark

Premium Member
There was some paperwork taped to the back about converting surface burners to L.P./Propane, and it said:

Unlike venturi gas ranges, this sealed gas cooktop system is not removable. Do not attempt to remove the cooktop.
Assuming that applies to this stove, no idea how I can replace the electrode if I cant raise the top, and none of the paperwork I have says how to replace them.

Odd, since it has tabs, and screws to the burners like normal ranges that lift up. I'll have to look closer for something next time, I'm over there I guess.

jeff1

Staff member
Assuming that applies to this stove, no idea how I can replace the electrode if I cant raise the top
Reach in from the back?
Lift up enough to just get your arm in?

jeff.

tireshark

Premium Member
Update on this... had to remove the knobs and the panel that holds the knobs. After that there were 4 screws under the lip of the stovetop that allowed it to be removed.

2019-05-02 23_00_49-How To Raise Cooktop On Kenmore Gas Stove. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home .png

jeff1

Staff member
You had to remove the manifiold cover first before the cooktop could be raised....odd!

Thankx for the update.

jeff.