FIXED 790.70502013 Kenmore - Oven wont heat.

tireshark

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I've done a bit of troubleshooting, and am still researching. Oven wont heat. Stovetop burners work. When I set it to bake, the igniter never glows.

Checked resistance of the disconnected igniter, and it showed 333 ohms.
Checked resistance of the disconnected gas safety valve, and it showed 0 ohms.

Is that an appropriate reading for the igniter? If not, any advice as to what I should test next? Should I test for voltage where the igniter plugs in?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_2426.jpg

tireshark

Premium Member
Thanks.

Do you say I need a new igniter because that is a very common failure, or because something in my post indicated it was the problem?

tireshark

Premium Member
I measured voltage at the junction where the igniter plugs in, and I got 120 volts with the oven OFF, not set to bake. If that is the correct reading with the oven off, then like you said, probably igniter needs replaced.

This is where I tested it. I had one probe in the bottom terminal, and the other probe touching the bottom of the stove.

23.png

tireshark

Premium Member
Someone told me that's the wrong place to test for voltage, and that it needs to be done at the igniter... so disregard the previous post, I suppose. Will report back later.

tireshark

Premium Member
This is a diagram of how it is wired. I had disconnected the plug, and had one probe in 2, and the other on the stove. That was reading 120vAC with the oven OFF.

Not sure how to test voltage on igniter terminals, if it is plugged in, as the wires at the igniter are hard wired into it. Can you test voltage by probing the part that glows with a multimeter, or something?

harness.png

tireshark

Premium Member
Update on this. Got a new igniter, and it read about 70 ohms resistance, which is a lot better... but still didn't ignite.

Tested voltage at the igniter wiring harness, with the igniter disconnected, and was not getting 120v AC coming from control board.

Went to control board and tested between pins 4 and 6, with the oven on, and got no voltage.

It clicks when I hit 'bake', but no voltage shows up.

Unless it could be an easy fix on the control board, I suppose I will just replace it.

2019-05-07 17_28_24-Photos.png