• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 790.74333313 - Kenmore gas oven temperature issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dboy2929

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This gas stove is only 3 years old. When I set bake to preheat, the oven does not ignite for quite awhile, if at all. If I turn on a burner, the oven ignites. I have replaced the igniter but still have the problem. Also, when oven does eventually get to the preheat temp, it doesn't always stay at that temp. It seems to shut off and then not reignite.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Kenmore 790 models are made by Frigidaire.

I located another thread with this same problem and the cause was the ignitor:
Yes, please answer Dan about which ignitor is doing this? The BAKE or BROIL ignitor?

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The only thing in common with both the top burners and the oven burners is the stove's main gas regulator. I extremely doubt it is causing your problem as it should affect operation of all gas components (both the top and oven burners) together at the same time, ie. all work or none work.

If the ignitor is definitely not the cause, I can only guess the oven gas valve is flakey and may need to be replaced. Turing on the surface burner could only be a coincidence IMO as its operation has nothing to do with the oven. If the oven ignitor is good and it is glowing red, gas should flow to be ignited.

LINK > Oven 'Dual' Gas Valve 5303210798

I'll warn you, the oven gas valve used on your model is very expensive!

The only way to confirm the failure point is to actually test the amperage draw through the ignitor when it isn't igniting as described at the link Jake left.

JMO

Dan O.

dboy2929

Premium Member
Thanks for responding again.
I'm not sure if turning on the stove burner making the oven ignite is a coincidence since I have to do this every time. Also, on the other issue, when I bake something, at say, 350 degrees, part way through baking the temp drops to say to 245 degrees and stays there until I increase temp back to 350. Frustrating. Dinner is sometimes very late. I will do a amp check on ignitor though. Yes a main gas valve is very expensive, would rather buy a different stove.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
dboy2929 said:
Yes a main gas valve is very expensive

That is not the main gas valve, it is just the oven gas valve. But yes, measure the amperage draw of the ignitor. It needs to be 3.2 - 3.6 amps for the oven gas valve to open properly.

JFYI

Dan O.

dboy2929

Premium Member
Dan, did an amp check on the ignitor and got 2.94 amps. Looks like I need a new one.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
dboy2929 said:
Looks like I need a new one.

I thought you just put in a new one??

Did you also check it with a top burner turned on to see why the oven ignites then?

Dan O

Last edited:

dboy2929

Premium Member
I did put in a new one awhile ago since the original one failed completely. About 2 years ago.
UPDATE. I put in another new one 316489403, got 3.45amp and works perfectly.
Thanks for all your help.
I will make a donation.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Dan, did an amp check on the ignitor and got 2.94 amps. Looks like I need a new one.
Yes, I was getting ready to say 2.94 amps is too low, should be 3.2 to 3.6 amps.:)

Glad the new bake ignitor fixed it.(y)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
dboy2929 said:
I did put in a new one awhile ago since the original one failed completely. About 2 years ago.

When you said, "I have replaced the igniter but still have the problem" I assumed it was true. That led to wasted time.

The next time you'd be best to just state what was done to try to correct the immediate problem and not what was done to the appliance years previously as it likely has little bearing on what is going on now.

Glad to hear you got it functioning again. Thanks for the followup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.