• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.74423810 Kenmore gas range - oven losing heat after about 10-15 mins

Kevinbconfused

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have started experiencing problems with my oven. It’s only a couple years old so I feel it’s a little early to have major issues so here I am. I turn it to preheat (350) and the igniter glows, gas lights, and it gets to temp. I can see the lighter cycling and maintaining temp. After about 10-15 mins I start losing heat even though I can see the igniter going and gas burning.
thoughts?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the ignitor is glowing but the burner will not ignite, the problem can only be the oven ignitor or the oven gas valve. The ignitor is by far the most likely culprit. The only way to tell for certain is to measure the amperage draw of the ignitor with an ammeter.

LINK > Kenmore 790.74423810 Oven Ignitor

You can read about how common gas oven ignition systems work and the observations and tests necessary to start diagnosing problems with them at the following link:

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

You can expect the ignitor to need to be replaced several times over the lifespan of the appliance. Every time the oven is on the ignitor is being used.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If ever the ignitor IS glowing but there is NO flame my answer applies. Within a minute of the ignitor glowing there should be a flame on the oven burner.

If when it isn't maintain heat the ignitor is NOT glowing, the problem could be elsewhere.

So the question is, IS the ignitor glowing when the problem is occurring or is it NOT glowing when the problem is occurring?

Kevinbconfused

Premium Member
The igniter glows, gas lights, gets to temp. Short while later igniter cuts off and gas shuts off for a few, then igniter glows again and gas lights. This repeats every few mins but the temp drops while it cycles on and off.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Exactly how long does it take for the burner to ignite into flame once the ignitor starts glowing again?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
About 20 seconds

Im sorry but i really doubt that. Even with a brand new ignitor it takes a minute or more.

I can’t help you without accurate information. You may need to call for service.

Good luck!