• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 790.77463805 Kenmore Gas Range Oven Not Heating but Broiler Does

Lery

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Gas Range Oven Model 790.77463805 and the oven will not heat.

The burners all light no problem

The broiler lights and heats no problem

This seems isolated to just the oven.

I took it apart and watched the igniter to see if it would glow when preheating. It did not. Therefore, I concluded it went bad and I purchased a new one.

I purchased:
and installed it today.

Unfortunately the cable on the new igniter was way too short to reach the plug. So I spliced the wires from the old one and new one together. Unfortunately after putting it back together, the oven is still not lighting. The igniter is not glowing.

When I press Bake and set the temperature, the control board shows preheat, and then I hear the normal click sound and the oven indicator also turns on. However, nothing else happens.

So far I'm into this repair for $100.00 and a new oven looks to cost about $800.00, so I don't want to invest too much more. I am not sure how old this oven is. Possibly 6-10 years or a little older. What are my next steps?

Lery

Premium Member
I also tried checking the igniter for continuity and got a reading. I thought maybe splicing the wires together might be causing it not to work. Initially I disconnected the igniter plug, tested and got a reading but I could not see what it was. I adjusted my position and the meter, and then I could not get another reading from it. So I took it all out of the oven and tested. I could not get a reading in the plug, so I took apart the splice and tested on just the wire. I couldn't get a reading just holding the probes there, I had to hold the probe and the wire with my finger and got a strong reading. I did get a reading by adjust the probes in the plug, but very unreliable. Put it all back together and still no luck.

It could be possible that I bought the wrong darn part.

There is a chance I should have purchased:
The part matches the replacement on the plug of the old igniter. Damn...

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the oven BAKE igniter glow bar for your model(Video Included):
316489403 Oven Ignitor

If it's not glowing orange then you'd need to use a multimeter to test for 120 volts at the electrical connector that goes to it with the oven ON and set to BAKE at 350 degrees.

If no 120 volts, then your clock oven control board is the culprit.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model:
Oven Control Board 316557211

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Lery

Premium Member
I already ordered the correct igniter, same as you linked. I hope that is it. To test what you described would I just the multimeter on the plug that the igniter plugs into on the bottom of the oven? Put the probes in and hit bake?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its very easy, just remove the glow bar igniter connector and put your meter probes in the electrical connector where it powers up the glow bar, then turn the oven ON 350 and see if your meter reads 120 volts. If not, that new glow bar will not glow orange either, then problem would be the clock oven control board I posted the link to above.

Jake

Lery

Premium Member
Hi Jake. So I got the new oven ignitor, this time the right part. I hooked it up and unfortunately it still doesn't light the oven. So as you mentioned, it could be the clock oven control board. I tried testing with the meter, but it was very difficult to get the probes in the plug since it's in back of the oven, turned sideways. When testing, I did not get a reading. Before I try replacing the oven control board, my one question is, if the oven control board were bad, wouldn't my broiler not work? That does work just fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Before I try replacing the oven control board, my one question is, if the oven control board were bad, wouldn't my broiler not work?
The clock oven control board has two relay's on it, BAKE and BROIL, so the BROIL relay is good and the BAKE relay is NOT good.

So as you mentioned, it could be the clock oven control board. I tried testing with the meter, but it was very difficult to get the probes in the plug since it's in back of the oven, turned sideways.
Did you try and pull the lower bottom storage out? Usually when the storage drawer is out, there is plenty of room underneath there to check for 120 volts at the BAKE ignitor electrical connector.

Just get a flashlight or droplight so you can see under there better.

Jake

Lery

Premium Member
Oh yes, the drawer was out and I was able to get in. It's just hard to see with a flashlight and all. I am almost positive I got both the probes in there, but the plug actually has little room for the plugs to fit side by side. However, since we now know the ignitor is good, it can't be anything else but the control board right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can use this safety pin trick if the meter leads are too big side by side:
safety pin 500x250.jpg

However, since we now know the ignitor is good, it can't be anything else but the control board right?
That is correct.:)

Jake

Lery

Premium Member
That is a neat trick, I will give that a try. I assume when I order the control board I should also order the overlay?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Lery

Premium Member
Just got the control board today, hooked it up, and we have a working oven finally. I'm just waiting on the overlay, so for now it's in there without it. Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @Lery glad to hear the new clock oven control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake