• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.77559804 Kenmore Range - Fried connection to control board. Replaceable?

lt6va

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Last week, I tried to run the oven up to 550 to make my wife prime rib. After that, the oven wouldn't get above 300, and that took 30 minutes. I had to replace this control board once already, a few years ago, when I had the same problem with slow heating. Tested the oven temp sensor with multimeter and it's fine. Then, I was took a look at the control board and discovered this (see pics). So, clearly the control board needs replacing. ($200). But this cable and connector would also need replacing. Is it worth it? Is there a deeper issue going on? Thanks!

Attachments

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

New control time...

LINK> Electronic oven control

Cut that connector off and install new push on spades on each wire and install them one at a time onto the new clock. That old connection looked like it was loose and got hot and hotter over use and burnt off.

LINK> Spade terminal

jeff.

lt6va

Premium Member
Thank you, Jeff! That's very helpful. I do think I'll go ahead with ordering a control, and see if I can find a replacement connector harness, too. BUT, I am hesitant about replacing this control board for a second time, if there could be some other issue with the range causing these failures? Or maybe it just can't handle high temps and I should avoid them?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
and see if I can find a replacement connector harness, too
From a used dealer maybe...but for me the repair would be done and over by just installing the wires on individually rather than a block all together.

if there could be some other issue with the range causing these failures?
From what I saw in the pictures was a connector that was loose and over heating causing it to burn off.
Never hurts to ohm the elements and check ALL wires to and from the control as a test.

jeff.