• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.79523600 Kenmore Dual Fuel Range - oven set always reads 550 then it Err's out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpapageorge

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My new home has a kenmore pro elite dual fuel range.

When I set the oven to any of the bake/roast modes and set the temperature, the display reads 550. The oven then starts to warm up, but once it is on for a few minutes the thermometer jumps around between random temperatures, clean and broil, then eventually blinks ERR and turns off.

I replaced the temperature setting board, and still get the same issue.

Any thoughts? Should I try the thermometer or does it seem like I need to replace the main board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, another member was having this same "ERR" problem and it was the control:

318601500 Control

Jake

Mpapageorge

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I appreciate the reply. I had come across that post and did replace that control board along with the temperature sensor (mine was a couple ohms out of the range - which was probably do to me living in phoenix but figured might as well). Unfortunately, it seems that I have a different issue. I ordered the main control board, if that does not solve the issue, any other thoughts? All I could think was that maybe some wire insulation has degraded and is shorting somewhere - If the main board does not work, I will likely see if this is the problem even though it seems unlikely being that it isn't an intermittent issue.

I will certainly keep updating as I learn more, but any thoughts or advice in the meantime would be great.

Mpapageorge

Premium Member
I think you missed this:
Jake
Hi Jake,

Sorry, after re-reading my follow-up I definitely was not clear.

The components that I have already replaced are the component that you linked to (318601500 Control) and the temperature probe (316217002 Probe, Oven Temp). Unfortunately, I still have the same symptoms (Set Pt reads 550 regardless of actual set pt, Temperature display jumps around eventually followed by beeping and ERR and the oven turning off) after replacing it.

After doing some reading in the manual (probably should have started here), I found the following language:
NOTE : The temperature knob can be used to modify the baking temperature while the oven is in bake mode, but the function knob cannot be changed to another function without turning it to Off first. An ERR code will appear in the display if another function is selected without turning to Off.

Given that, it looks like my next best option is to try replacing (318601700 Switch) which is the function selector switch, or the main board (316460212 Board). I have ordered both

What do you think of this plan of attack?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect! In fact I was just going to suggest replacing the 318601700 Switch

Because look here:

Jake

johnevin

i have the exact same problem. JUst changed the main control board (some oven functions were not working such as broil, conv roast) and also had replaced the oven temp sensor...now with new board, the broiler and conv roast do start to heat up but the digital temp display is always 550 deg and the temp display gauge jumps around every sec to defferent temp non stop.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Please start a new thread with your model number.

Thanks!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.