• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.80333310 Kenmore Microwave keeps blowing fuses

AFGUY

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a, 18 month old Kenmore Microwave model # 790.80333310, which keeps blowing fuses...I have replace all three door switches already, and it worked fine 5 months until this morning, when the fuse popped again...

What else would cause this issue? I think I have a lemon here...It isn't that old 18 months...!!

Thanks,

R Bell

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I have replace all three door switches already, and it worked fine 5 months.....
The monitor interlock is a normally closed switch that shorts L1 and Neutral together when the door is open. It might not be the switch causing the problem, but the switch bracket. When you open the door the primary interlock switch opens a split second before the monitor interlock switch, killing the power to the monitor switch. If the latch bracket is broken or worn out or just out of adjustment, and the monitor switch goes first, "pop". Remove power from the machine. Remove the control panel so you can access the door switches. Remove the wires from the switch, one at a time. Check the interlock switches by opening and closing the door.
frigidaire-latch-hook-5304509457-ap6230612_01_m.jpg

redwarts

I have seen both of the threads from AFGUY on this microwave. I have the same model number, and the same problem. I was going to order switches, but now I am not sure. W

When I plug it in now, the microwave starts running. The display starts flashing, and the microwave starts heating. The light inside doesn't come on, and the turntable doesn't turn. If I push the stop button, the light on the display goes out, but the microwave continues to heat. If I open the door, it blows the fuse.