• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

790.95073310 Kenmore Elite Induction Range - oven "open" message on power-up

mbattle

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
At the beginning of the pandemic, the main control board blew (pop, spark, smoke). $300 later, I had replaced the two control boards and the touch-panel/display. Powered it up and everything worked beautifully. After a few days of use, the oven won't operate at all. Upon power-up, the word "door" and a padlock icon appear, along with the word "open". The touch-panel doesn't respond to any input - I can't reset to factory defaults, can't set the clock, etc. After about 15sec, the "door" and padlock disappear, but the "open" persists. The induction cooktop works fine.

Any suggestions would be MOST welcome.

mbattle

Premium Member
I should add that I have jiggled the oven door switch repeatedly. No response.

Also, I should correct exactly what happens: After 15s, the "door" and padlock and "open" disappear and only the clock is flashing. It's only when I try to use the keypad (clock set, factory defaults, etc.) that "open" reappears (but nothing else happens and there is no other response to keyboard input).

And, in truth, it's not actually "open", it's "OPn"

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let's first check the door switch. Open the oven door, does the oven light come on? If so, when you press the oven door switch in with your hand does the oven light turn OFF?

If the door switch is working properly, then check your oven door lock motor switch, its located in the back of the range. See if the linkage bar that connects to it is jamming it up from turning the cam on it properly.

Here's the oven door lock motor switch assembly for your model(Video Included in part link):
Door Lock Motor and Switch Assembly 316464300

Jake

mbattle

Premium Member
Jake- Thanks for the quick reply. I have finally had time to get back to this. I removed the switch from the front of the stove, took off the connectors and tested it. It is working properly (zero resistance when pressed in halfway or more). The linkage for the door lock moves freely and the limit switch for the door lock motor is also working properly.

When I apply power, the oven light does not come on, whether the door is open or not. And, after reassembling the switches, I still get the same "door" message and padlock icon I described above.

I have checked the oven bulb and it's fine.

The only keypad functions that work are the timer, delay start, add 1 minute. The light button beeps once and seems like it should turn on the light but it doesn't. None of the oven-related functions on the keypad work (presumably because it somehow thinks the oven is open).

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unplug the range and remove the door switch, then ohm test it. When you ohm test the door switch with your multimeter, push the button in and release the button. If the meter did NOT change numbers when pushed in or released, then its bad, and that is the cause of this problem you are having.

Here's the door switch for your model:
316445500 Door Switch

Watch this video:

Jake

mbattle

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. As I tried to make clear above, I already did this test (with a meter) on the door switch and the door-lock-motor-limit-switch. I also tested the oven light. All are OK.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok that's the last suggestion I had, time to have Sears come out at 800-469-4663 to see what's going on.

You have already replaced the control board and the other parts are good.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unless that control board went bad again. You said this happened at the start of covid? So that was March 2020?

Then it only lasted a few days after that? Where did you buy the control board at? It should of had a warranty on it.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model:

ALL parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, ALWAYS has a 365 day warranty.

Jake