790.97509000 Kenmore Range - Oven resets (flashing clock) and turns off when in convection mode

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

While running in convection mode the display flickers and dims and eventually the oven just turns off and resets...the clock starts flashing "12:00". I've turned off the circuit breaker and leaving it off for a few minutes, then try again with the same results. If I run it in regular bake mode it works fine.

I've already replaced the temperature probe (was overheating everything) and the turbo-boil element (shorted out). I'm wondering if I should keep spending money on this unit, or look for a new one? Any suggestions for how to go about repairing this, and your thoughts on whether it's worth it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
Hey Rick,

I replaced the board, and the same thing happened again. I thought I was good because it seemed to run a lot longer without trouble...but after a while of running w/ convection it did the same thing. In fact, right as I was typing this I had something cooking on convection and it just beeped, and the whole oven went off for about 5 seconds, then it beeped and came back on with the clock flashing 12:00.

Could it be something else, or is it more likely that my replacement board is bad too?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Would have been nice if they included an actual wiring diagram.lol Give me a fe to look it over. Are you getting error codes?

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
Thanks for your help with this Jake and Rick!

No error codes...it just powers off completely as if someone had flipped the breaker. Then about 5 seconds later it beeps and powers back up. It seems to work for a while, but then once it heats up it starts cutting off more frequently. We can use it w/o convection for a bit longer than with it, but eventually even w/o convection it does the same thing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick has been out of town, he should be back home tomorrow, I will ask him.

Did you buy the control board Rick posted in post#2 from his link to AppliancePartsPros? If so, was the box damaged or double tapped?

Jake

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

The part is out of stock on the store that Rick linked to. I found the same part number on Amazon, but it did look like has been opened before. There was no evidence of use, but I can't be sure. I was able to send it back to Amazon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I went over the wire diagram. When the display goes out does the top still work? Do the oven lights still come on?

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
Hmmm...I don't know for sure. I know my wife has used the turbo-boil burner today for at least 2 hours straight. We'll turn the oven light on and cook something using convection.
"Honey...the appliance repair guys said that you need to make me some cookies!"

:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hey Jake,

The part is out of stock on the store that Rick linked to. I found the same part number on Amazon, but it did look like has been opened before. There was no evidence of use, but I can't be sure. I was able to send it back though since it was ordered through Amazon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
You can get a magnifying glass to look at the electrical male spade terminals on that control board you got from amazon and see if they are marked, if so then its used. If no markings, then its NEW.:)

Thanks Rick for coming back to help!

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
If you still have oven lights and the top works, I may have linked you to the wrong board by mistake. Different names for the same part is what confused me. The supply voltage for the controller comes from the User Interface Control Board. The one I linked you to is the Oven Control Board. My bad, I should have caught that. This is the board that must have a bad connection on it and the heat must break the circuit. Hopefully you can return the other board. That's one of the reasons we use AppliancePartsPro and RepairClinic. When something like this happens you can return the part for a full refund or exchange it for the correct part. Sorry.

YoungGrampa77

Premium Member
No worries Rick, the link to the controller board was out of stock, so I bought it on Amazon. It looked like it had been used, so I was able to return it. The link to the user board on AppliancePartsPros says it's out of stock as well...should I just place the order anyway and see if it gets filled?

BTW - I left the light on in the oven and set up a camera to record whether or not the light went out when the oven reset. It's cooked stuff for almost 2 hours and hasn't reset once. Is it possible that leaving the light on could affect it one way or another? This is the longest the lower oven has run in quite a while.

rickgburton

Staff member
It seems to be out of stock wherever I check. Try this; disconnect and reconnect all the wire connectors on the board. Make sure all wires and connectors are tight. Believe it or not that works more often than you might think.