• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.51022011 Kenmore Fridge only dispenses 1 glass of water after changing filter - that's it

1oldpop

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all, have looked but cannot find the answer to this question on the forum. Anyway, we have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge (model # 795.51022011 ) and it stopped dispensing water one day. It had been about 6 months since we changed the filter, so we put a new filter in. The fridge dispensed about a glass of water, then stopped??

We made sure the doors were closed & there was power. **When we remove the filters, water does come out of where the filter plugs into - so we know it\'s getting water), We replaced the filter after checking it over.

Once again, we inserted the new filter and got the same results (dispenses about a glass of water then nothing). We do hear a slight humming when we push the glass against the little paddle to get the water to come out.. Just to be sure, we installed a another water filter & got the same results. We know it was working with the same brand water filter before, and we have changed it out 2 more times.

We know it is getting water up to the dispenser because we can get about a glass of water there before it stops dispensing. **Note, the ice dispenser broke (not repaired) a few months after the warranty ended, but the water has been dispensing for years after that. Anyone have any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you buying the OEM water filter or aftermarket?

Here's the OEM water filter for your model:
lg-filter-assembly-water-adq72910911-ap6836218_01_l.jpg

When the refrigerator came new it included a filter bypass, put that in and see if the water keeps flowing.

Here's the filter bypass for your model:
lg-cap-assembly-head-abn75058701-ap6040052_01_l.jpg

1oldpop

Premium Member
Hi and thanks for your help. We have alternated over the years using the LG LT500P filter with a couple of good quality ones (5 stars on Amazon) and haven't had any problems. My wife and i are seniors on a fixed income so we can only get what we can afford. We've never had any problems until now. *** I thought about the fact then when we remove the filter to replace it, a lot of water was coming down - I'm thinking there would be a little, but it should stop (eventually), but ours didn't do that?? It stops leaking when the filter is replaced. I wonder if there is something in the filter holder/mount assembly that is broken? Also, when we got this fridge, from my sister, it didn't come with the filter plug. Spending another $38.64 is too much for us (it would mean I choose between one of my medications or the filter plug this month). Is there anyway to test it without the plug? or better yet, can I make a plug out of one of the old water filters I already have?? Maybe put a stainless steel screw down the opening? Out of curiosity, do you have the part number of the filter holder/mount assembly, in case that has to be changed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Your Kenmore 795 refrigerator is made by LG.

I'm not that familiar with this problem on LG brands. That's why it would be good to have the bypass cap to verify the water filter head is the problem. I understand you being on a fixed income, so you can just buy the filter head assembly and keep your fingers crossed.:)

Here's the water filter head assembly for your model:

Unfortunately, I could not locate a video that shows you how to replace it.

Jake