• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.71033010 Kenmore Refrigerator - Two duct lead to icemaker but only one blows cold

GeorgeCVegas

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,

I have a Kenmore model 795.71033010

The ice-maker is not making ice. Doesn't seem to be freezing well.

There are two ducts that line up/lead into the icemaker when the door is closed. So I press the little button that turns out the light and activates the fan, yet only the top duct blows cold. The bottom does not.

Should cold air be blowing from both as the top looks like it cools the actual part that freezes the ice and the botto leads to the ice storage compartment. Should cold air be blowing from both? Is there two fans and one is out?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No, the top is the supply duct and the bottom is the return duct. What's the temp of the ice maker (ice box)?

GeorgeCVegas

Premium Member
Well the freezer is set at 0 degrees. The problem is sometimes it makes ice, sometimes is doesn't. BTW thank you for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
If the temperature is 0°F it sounds more like an ice maker issue and not a temperature issue. LG has had a lot of problems with this style ice maker:

GeorgeCVegas

Premium Member
That's it. Should I order a new one ya think, or could I take this one out and fix the issue with you suggestions of course...lol

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately, they're not rebuildable. Since it's working intermittently, I'm not sure what part is flakey. I've been able to take them apart and fix a broken or pinched wire but that's about as far as you can go.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We don't advice folks to buy appliance parts on amazon or ebay, too many defective parts come from there.

The retail price of your ice maker is $276 finding one for $99 on amazon raises too many red flags.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Jake is right. That style ice maker is not that good to start with. If you get one made in China you can expect it to last less than 6 months.

GeorgeCVegas

Premium Member
Jake is right. That style ice maker is not that good to start with. If you get one made in China you can expect it to last less than 6 months.

Rick,

I finally had a few minutes to mess with that ice maker. I discovered that every time you hit the reset button it works, empties the ice in the tray and refills. Whatever should happen to trigger it to empty is I guess is the problem.

You said you messed with fixing these before. Does what I just said lead you to believe there is something I shroud check or try before having to buy a new ice-maker?

Thanks

George

rickgburton

Staff member
I helped a member with the exact same problem and same ice maker a few months ago but so far I can't find it. SB

rickgburton

Staff member
Jake was able to find it. This person had the exact same problem as you. His ended up being a bad pin in a connector but we went through a lot of testing and it's all spelled out in this thread: