• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.71056.014 Kenmore Elite refrigerator not cooling but freezer working great

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Apologies if this duplicates other threads I searched but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm not a service tech, just a homeowner trying to save some money (who probably knows just enough to get in trouble).

Freezer working great, fridge is cooler than room temperature but not 33 degrees cool which is where I set it. Did some googling and read that the most common cause was evaporator fan malfunction. I have taken the whole thing apart and both the fans in the freezer compartment (one evaporator and the other condenser if I'm reading diagrams correctly) plus the one in the refrigerator compartment all seem to be spinning freely and when I put a multimeter across them showed continuity. Everything currently in pieces all over the living room and I'm not sure what to do next, didn't know if there were other checks to do with it all apart before putting it back together.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Morning Steve,

When you took it apart and checked the fans in the freezer section, what did the frost pattern of the evaporator coil look like? Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from Top to Bottom.

If you can take a photo of the evaporator coil and upload it here, that would help us a lot.:)

Also, put a thermometer in the freezer, the liquid or digital style is best. Then tell us what it reads after 1 hour.

On your model, the freezer section cools the refrigerator section. So if the freezer is not reading 0 to 5 degrees, then we have a problem.

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Morning Jake,

Thanks so much for the reply.

From memory the evaporator coil was as you described. There definitely wasn't excessive frost anywhere, whether there was an even layer everywhere else I'm not so sure.

I will take a picture tonight, and get it all back together and a thermometer reading as soon as I can.

To give a little background it was in the garage (at basement level) and working great, drinks in the fridge and about 80lbs of ground beef in the freezer (my father-in-law bought a side of beef and ran out of space!). It was then moved up to the kitchen and we noticed the fridge not cooling whilst everything in the freezer remained well frozen. Initially tried the uplug, wait and then plug back in again and can hear it cycle through something.

Thanks again,

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Steve, yes keep us posted on the freezer temp and the photo of the evaporator coil.

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
BE8B4369-5348-4CAD-90B4-C7EEAEAE3027.jpeg

Here’s the coil. It’s one of my daughters birthdays today so getting everything completely back together tonight is going to have to wait. I only had time to get the freezer done. Is there any point just putting leaving the fridge like this or does it all need to go back before I switch on?

image.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Steve, but I really need to see the frost pattern on the freezer evaporator coil, so its important to put the evaporator cover back in place and let the freezer run a few hours then take the evaporator cover back off and take a photo of the freezer evaporator coil.

Don't worry about the refrigerator section right now.

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

Got it. That makes sense. I will start it now and run it as is (with the fridge still all apart) then when I get home take a temperature reading in the freezer and get that picture.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Steve, sounds like a plan.:)

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Temperature is down there right at zero.

Will have to wait until the morning to get the picture. Before I take it all apart to get at the coil is there an easy way that doesn’t involve taking the door front off, or is that the only way?

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
I should also add that there is now an error code showing Er rF. Is that due to the fridge part not being put back together?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Before I take it all apart to get at the coil is there an easy way that doesn’t involve taking the door front off, or is that the only way?
That's the only way I know of.

I should also add that there is now an error code showing Er rF. Is that due to the fridge part not being put back together?
That's correct.

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
CC0BCFB0-544D-4343-B740-606D602B5943.jpeg

Apologies for the giant pictures but hopefully this shows you what you need. I took others and a video so can add those if needed. Thanks so much again for all you time and help.

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Steve!

Looks like you have a even frost pattern on the lower half of your evaporator coils, the upper half not so much. So you may have a sealed system problem, causing the refrigerator section not to cool properly.

All the coils should have that even frost pattern on them from bottom to top.

Look at the very bottom photo below and you will see.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
I see what you mean. That sounds like something that requires more than a DIY fix. Any recommendations for next steps?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You should have a 5 yr, warranty on your sealed system, check your owners manual warranty page and see.

You will need to contact Sears at 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out to fix it for you.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, put a thermometer in the freezer, the liquid or digital style is best. Then tell us what it reads after 1 hour.

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Sadly, I think I will be out of luck on the warranty. We had to move back from the UK about a year ago for family reasons and inherited the fridge at that point. When I filled in the age it was a guess. I just looked up the serial number and got the following. I'm 99% sure that in the midst of everything we don't have paperwork. Is it worth calling the number anyway? Thanks.

Brand: Kenmore
Type: Fridge
Model: 795.71056.014
Serial: 303TR2T740
According to the serial number this product may have been manufactured March of 2013.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it worth calling the number anyway?
Nope, Time to go refrigerator shopping, unless you just want to use it as a freezer.

But its very important that we know what the freezer temperature is.

Do you have a freezer thermometer you can put in the freezer? Most stores sale them, get the digital or liquid style.

Jake

2manykids4a7

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice. I will put it all back together and check what temperature both hold at. Then make a decision from there.

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Steve, sounds good.

Jake