• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.71323411 Kenmore Refrigerator - Uh oh - think I broke the water filtration system!

PDay

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Elite: Model #: 795.71323.4111 dated June 2015

I moved into the condo with the fridge already here a little over a year ago. First time I've had a fridge that made ice - what a treat! The 'change filter' light came on and I ordered the proper filters from Sears. I had pulled the old filter out as I was getting delivery updates and the filter was due that date. Very long story short the filters never arrived. Then as life goes things happen and my Ma got sick and passed away, so the water filter in my fridge wasn't at the top of my list.

Fast forward to now. Ordered again from Sears, received two used filters, returned and the young gentleman at my local Sears (which was sadly days from closing) told me to go to Lowes or Home Depot and not to reorder from Sears as he was seeing constant issues with broken / used parts being sent out....Oy! Okay back to my filter...

I ordered the LG equivalent #ADQ36006102 also known as 46-9690. Part arrived and I installed it no problem, or so I thought. Nothing works - no water from door, no ice, bupkis. So I get out the manual and go to the water filter section and the trouble shooting section and I see this...

CAUTION: DO NOT operate refrigerator without water or water plug installed.

Umm, I have been using my fridge for months without a filter or plug - have I destroyed the water delivery system? Is there anyway back from my iceless hell scape? I appreciate any and all trouble shooting suggestions.

Thank you!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
PDay said:
CAUTION: DO NOT operate refrigerator without water or water plug installed.

Umm, I have been using my fridge for months without a filter or plug - have I destroyed the water delivery system?

The reason is probably because it will flood otherwise should the icemaker or water dispenser be used. It shouldn't harm the refrigerator or water system components.

If your complaint is just that all water functions have stopped, check the water supply to the fridge and the water fill valve on the back of the fridge for proper wiring connections and functioning. You could also check the manual for mention of a water system lockout function.

Dan O.

PDay

Premium Member
Everything worked perfectly before I removed the filter in the fall - the door water dispenser and the ice maker.

Nothing flooded. But now that I have installed the new filter the water does not dispense from the door, I have not turned on the ice maker. When was installing the new water filter there were a few drops of water - to be expected, per the manual. But again no water flow to the door, and I assume to the ice maker.

If the fridge has not been moved do I still need to check the water supply, water fill value and wiring connections? I have never moved the fridge and I am a bit nervous about it. Can I damage anything by pulling it out?

I checked the manual for a 'water system lockout function' and found nothing.

Thank you

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
PDay said:
Nothing flooded.

It would only have flooded if someone activated the dispenser or possibly when the icemaker called for water, without the filter in place.

PDay said:
If the fridge has not been moved do I still need to check the water supply, water fill value and wiring connections?

Service requires eliminating the possibilities until the cause in your case is isolated. Besides the control system, those are the only other things I know of that could stop all water flow.

Did you try reinstalling the original filter to see if maybe the replacement filter is plugged for some reason? (I very much doubt it is.)

Can I damage anything by pulling it out?

Someone would have to be careful of the water line and maybe the kitchen flooring.

PDay said:
I checked the manual for a 'water system lockout function' and found nothing.

I am not familiar with that exact model and don't have access to an owner's or service manual for if so don't if there are any internal control features that would stop all water functions. There isn't usually.

Dan O.