FIXED 795.72053.112 Front Display Shows Error Code eR IF

JohnRoss

Premium Member
Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
On 9/5/2017 my 362 day old Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator failed. The error code on the front door panel displayed eR If. Sears came out and replaced it under warranty. The technician said the fan in the back of the bottom freezer failed. He also said it had been redesigned and replaced it with the updated model. Now I'm getting the same error code again.

Does anyone know if the fan unit has been redesigned again and if so how can I make sure I get the latest model?

The ice maker in the door and the water in the door are also both not working.

Also, how can I tell if my refrigerator and freezer is still cooling with this issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

Which fan motor did the tech replace? Your have a freezer(evaporator) fan motor and a ice maker fan motor, the ice maker fan motor is the one he/she should of replaced. ER IF(Icemaker Fan):)

Here's the Ice maker fan motor assembly for your model:
ABA72913413 Bracket Assembly,motor

Jake

JohnRoss

Premium Member
Good afternoon Jake,

Thanks for replying!!

The part that was replaced on 9/5/2017 was, the freezer evaporator cover and fan assembly (part number AEB73785615). The tech said it was the updated replacement part to correct the ice buildup around the fan.

After posting this I looked around again on the web about this problem. I saw where someone unplugged the refrigerator for 5 minutes then plugged it back in and the front panel reset itself. I did this and the error code is gone and it appears everything is okay.

The water is now working in the door again. Not sure about the ice as I guess it takes an hour or so to freeze?

For the past 3 days we would hear a intermittent slight rattle noise coming from the back lower part of the freezer. Yesterday my wife had the refrigerator open a lot for cleaning. I wonder if keeping the doors open for a extended length of time caused ice to build up again around the fan?

Also, my wife told me this morning she found water on the floor in front of the freezer.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yesterday my wife had the refrigerator open a lot for cleaning. I wonder if keeping the doors open for a extended length of time caused ice to build up again around the fan?
That's fine to do, but it's best to turn the refrigerator off if the doors are going to be open for a long period of time.:)

Also, my wife told me this morning she found water on the floor in front of the freezer.
Check and see if your freezer floor has a layer of ice on it.

Jake

JohnRoss

Premium Member
Jake,

The freezer floor has some ice on it, is this normal?

Also, it appears the ice maker in the door is not making ice.

JohnRoss

Premium Member
I removed the freezer door compartments and found what appears to be a lot of ice in the middle of the freezer evaporator cover, see attached pictures. Not sure if this is normal or not? I took a heat gun and melted the ice making sure not to melt the freezer evaporator cover. All melted ice and water was removed from the floor of the freezer.

After removing the compartments I only found a very small amount of ice on the floor of the freezer.

I do not know if the ice around the freezer evaporator cover is causing the door ice maker not to make ice?

I can still hear a intermittent slight rattle noise coming from the back lower part of the freezer. I will now remove the back lower service cover to see if I can find whats causing the rattle.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, it should not have any ice on the freezer floor. You'll need to remove the back panel inside the freezer and check to see if your drain line is clogged, there will be a drain hole under the evaporator coil.

Also, it appears the ice maker in the door is not making ice.
That's because your ice maker fan is probably not working. That's why you got that ER IF.

Do you have a multimeter to see if its working?

I do not know if the ice around the freezer evaporator cover is causing the door ice maker not to make ice?
Possibly yes, did you remove that back panel completely ?

Jake

JohnRoss

Premium Member
The error code on the door is now gone and the display looks like it did before the problem.

I did not remove the back panel completely. I only used the heat gun to remove the ice from the outside that I could see.

It's going to be very difficult for me at my age to remove the inside freezer back panel completely.

The refrigerator has a defrost cycle. If it is working correctly would it melt any ice around the fan?

I did see a white tube that appears to be coming from the fan area, see attached photo. The tube goes into a small overflow tray has a little water in it.

I do not hear the rattle noise anymore.

I do have a multimeter.

Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnRoss

Premium Member
When I opened the ice maker door and put my finger in the ice tray they were all full of ice.
I used a heat gun to melt the ice because the ice tray would not rotate and empty. When I turn the switch off then on the ice tray will only rotate about a quarter of an inch then return back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The refrigerator has a defrost cycle. If it is working correctly would it melt any ice around the fan?
Not always, if it was massive build-up then not likely. You can unplug the refrigerator and open the freezer door for 24 hours and let it all defrost on its own.

If the ice maker fan was just blocked from turning from the ice build-up around it, then yes that would also cause the ER IF.

Jake

JohnRoss

Premium Member
Good morning Jake,

Thank you so much for all your assistance with these two issues. The refrigerator is now back to normal and working at 100%.

It's wonderful that a person with your knowledge takes the time to help people with appliance problems.

God bless you and thank you again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What was wrong with it John?

Was it just froze up and you let it defrost overnight?

Jake

JohnRoss

Premium Member
What I did to repair the problem.

This is what I did for the eR IF Code.

1st = I unplugged the refrigerator for 5 minutes then plugged it back in. After doing this the eR IF code went away and I now had water through the door but no ice.

2nd = I opened the freezer and removed the bottom two slide out trays. After doing so I noticed a lot of ice on the back panel in the center and a very small amount on the freezer floor. I used a heat gun to melt the ice and cleaned up the water.

3rd = I used a heat gun to melt the ice that would not come out of the ice trays.

4th = I turned the ice maker switch off then back on but the ice tray would only move about 1/4 inch and would not dump the ice.

5th = I pressed the FILL KEY for 3 seconds. After do so the ice tray dumped the ice and everything reset to normal and my ice tray container is full of ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake