• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.72053 Kenmore French Door buzzing after compressor replacement

mechengrkj

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Just bought a house that came with this Kenmore 795.72053 french door refrigerator and chest freezer. Fridge was essentially new when we moved in (less than a month old). After living here for about 2 months, the fridge started buzzing continuously progressively getting louder over the course of about 2 weeks until it completely stopped cooling the food and everything in the freezer defrosted. Called our home warranty company who sent out 3 different repairmen to look at it and they all said the compressor was bad (it took three repairmen because apparently the first two were not certified to do compressor replacements???).

The third guy didn't actually come out to inspect it before doing the replacement, he basically just listened to what we described, said it was the compressor and ordered the parts. He came out and did the repair and everything was fine for about 2 weeks until it started buzzing again and this time louder than before. Called the warranty company and they sent him out again to inspect and he basically told us to deal with the noise because everything was working and the fridge was still cooling.

The next day there was a burning smell coming from the behind the fridge and it stopped cooling again. After having trouble with the warranty company not wanting to send out a different company to look at it, we finally managed to get them to send out someone else and they said that the compressor probably wasn't bad in the first place but that there was something wrong with the evaporator and that the welds the previous tech had done were so poor that they were leaking.

The parts this new tech needed were on back order (which makes me think this is a design problem with this fridge) and took two weeks to arrive. Parts came a few days ago and he came out to do the repair. After the repair was completed, the fridge started cooling again but was then buzzing even louder than it was before. Technician comes back out and looks at it and says the guy that did the compressor replacement welded a valve on that was the wrong size and was hitting the compressor causing it to buzz. He "fixes" the valve issue and it quiets down a bit but is still buzzing fairly loudly.

I'm at my wits end. The noise is grating on me and I am quickly losing my patience. The warranty company says that the don't cover anything that is only "noise" related and won't send someone else out unless it stops working again. Is there anything I can do to test and see what's wrong. I'm 95% sure the buzzing is caused by the compressor because when I pull the fridge out it kind of catches on the tile flooring and makes the buzzing sound like its rocking back and forth inside the compressor. I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm not afraid of testing things out on my own to see what's wrong. If it's something that I can fix myself, I will fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you make a video of this noise? then upload it to Youtube, then post the Youtube link here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I hear it, no it shouldn't be buzzing like that. But since the Kenmore 795 is made by LG, I wouldn't be surprised if that was normal, LG has had many problems with their compressors and sealed system components.

If you put some rubber grommets underneath the compressor that may stop it from buzzing.

Jake

mechengrkj

Premium Member
I was afraid of that. Unfortunately the warranty company won't do anything about noise, only if it stops working again. Hopefully we don't have any more issues with it but, Man! that buzzing is annoying. There are already rubber bushings supporting the compressor. I'm almost positive the buzzing is coming from inside the compressor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, inside the compressor I would agree.

Well you can always sell it and use the money to buy a nice new Whirlpool, they run very quiet.:) And no buzzing compressor problems.:)

Jake