• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 795.72053110 Kenmore Elite not Cooling after Power Outage

Jbradley0227

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have a Kenmore French door / bottom freezer - Model 795.72053110 that we purchased in 2012. We just came back from vacation and discovered the power had gone out for a few hours and the refrigerator was running but not cooling anymore.

The compressor is running but only slightly warm. Circulating fan in freezer is running. unplugged the frig for 1/2 hour last night and then plugged it back in. This morning it was still warm. I unplugged the capacitors and the harness at the main board, waited about 20 minutes and then plugged everything back in.

The frig has been running for about 45 minutes but the input tube of the evaporator coil in the freezer is only at about 40 degrees. Should it be colder than that? The temp inside the freezer is about 60 degrees. Thank you for any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the evaporator coil should be colder than 40 degrees, in fact the ENTIRE evaporator coil should have a thin layer of frost on it.

So the problem your having is sealed system problem, you'd need Sears to come out to fix it for you.

Some models have a 5 yr. warranty on the sealed system, so check your owner's manual warranty first.

Jake

Jbradley0227

Premium Member
Thanks for the advice, Jake. My frig is 5.5 years old so the sealed system is just out of warranty but according to the owners manual the compressor is supposed to be covered for 10 years at no cost. I contacted Sears and NOBODY will confirm that the compressor will be covered if it's the problem.

I've heard horror stories about Sears repair services so I'm hesitant to have them come out unless I know the compressor is covered. I did a resistance test of the compressor and across 2 prongs the measurement fluctuated between 6.7 and 7.1. It was open when read on the third prong, which I read is normal on a linear compressor.

Is this reading normal? Do you know if this compressor is variable speed? If so, could it be that the compressor isn't operating at a high enough RPM to cool the frig? Is it just a coincidence that we had a power outage at the same time that the sealed system sprung a leak? Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I worked for Sears and you have to talk to Customer Relations.

Contact Sears at 1-800-4-MYHOME and ask for Customer Relations, or talk to the store manager at the Sears you purchased it at. Tell them your model number and they can verify you do 10 years warranty on the Compressor.

I located your owners manual: Dropbox - 79572053110.pdf You are correct, 10 years on the compressor.

Or download and print your owner's manual warranty page and take it to the Sears store with your receipt.

Jake

Jbradley0227

Premium Member
So I did some more research and it seems these LG Linear compressors are notorious for going bad. It seems an internal valve fails and it loses pressure. I contacted Sears and, after a lot of effort, I finally got them to verify that the compressor is covered under the factory 10 year warranty. The tech came out, verified the compressor was bad and replaced it free of charge. He keeps three of these compressors on his truck at all times. He was great! Much better than their customer service reps. The frig is cooling great now. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that did cover it under warranty.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake