795.72099.312 Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Went Warm For 2 Days

ginky4

Premium Member
Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I woke up the other morning to a refrigerator temperature of 58 degrees. Needless to say it ruined all of my food in the refrigerator and freezer. The temperature stayed around 58 degrees for most of day one and then dropped to 52 degrees on day 2.

Now it seems to be back to normal on day 3 reading around 38 degrees. What would cause something like this to happen? I don't want to restock my food and then have it spike to 58 degrees again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the temperature in the freezer when that happened?

Was the refrigerator running? Or dead silent when that happened?

Are all the fans in the freezer and refrigerator running now that its back to normal?

Also pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, then see if the condenser fan motor is running, it sits next to the compressor.

Also clean your condenser coil if you haven't already. A clogged condenser coil can overheat the compressor and stop it from running properly and cause that temperature rise like that too.

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
[Was the temperature in the freezer when that happened?
Jake, I didn't check the freezer temp but everything in there was melting bad including the ice. The Refrigerator temp was 58 degrees.

Was the refrigerator running? Or dead silent when that happened?
The refrigerator was running. I could hear the fans spinning and the lights came on normally.

Are all the fans in the freezer and refrigerator running now that its back to normal?
Right now it is running normally. Fans seem to be spinning fine. Every now and then the fan by the compressor will make sort of a clunking noise but not all the time.

Also pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, then see if the condenser fan motor is running, it sits next to the compressor. The condenser fan is running.

Also clean your condenser coil if you haven't already. A clogged condenser coil can overheat the compressor and stop it from running properly and cause that temperature rise like that too.
I actually took the back panel off and cleaned the coil about 2 weeks ago.

We had a service tech come out because we had a service contract on the refrigerator. He said everything seemed to be fine.

He did some temp checks with a fancy infrared thermometer and said he got a reading of 38 degrees in the refrigerator.

He explained that if the coil , condenser, or compressor was bad it wouldn't be cooling at all so he did not want to replace those. The only thing he said he would do was order a new electronic control board for it which is going to take about a week to get.

Have you ever seen an electronic control board cause a malfunction like this that would happen over a period of 2 days?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have you ever seen an electronic control board cause a malfunction like this that would happen over a period of 2 days?
If the refrigerator was running, meaning the compressor and fans were running and no cooling then you'd have a sealed system problem. If the fans were running but not the compressor, yes its possible the control board is the culprit.

So, next time it stops cooling like that, pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and put your hand on the top of the compressor(big black ball shaped part) to see if its warm and vibrating, don't worry you won't get shocked.:)

Jake

ginky4

Premium Member
So the tech from Sears shows up today to install a new control board. He gets done installing the control board and says "I think we have a problem." "There is one 6 pin connector left that doesn't have a connection on the new control board."

So he puts it all back together and leaves that 6 pin connector unhooked. After an hour I now have a 58 degree refrigerator again and the temperature is going higher. The old board was actually working pretty good although the temperature would fluctuate between 38 and 44 degrees.

I have attached a picture of the 6 pin connector that doesn't have any place on the new control board to go. Anybody have an idea what that may have been for?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the part number of the control board he installed? Look on your receipt he gave you.

I show this to be your control board for your model: EBR75234715

Look on your photo, you can see its the wrong part number he installed, call Sears back and tell them to come back and install the correct control board.

Jake