• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 795.72483.411 Kenmore Elite Refrigerator - not getting water to the ice maker

Mamb

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello
No water to the ice maker but water to water dispenser. The test button on ice maker goes thru normal process, towards the end of cycle the solenoid at rear / bottom of frig comes on 4-5 secs. What I did so far. Found solenoids inside left hand door. The solenoid that goes to the water dispenser (large hose) works fine getting 120 volts when on. The solenoid for ice maker (smaller hose) is getting no voltage at all. If I switch the wires from water solenoid to ice solenoid when and depress for water it works the ice solenoid and dispense water to ice tray. I replace #ABQ72940010 refrigerator dispense board but still have issue. So here I am.
I check for error, pressing freezer and ultra Ice code did come up ER 9F but find no reference, so I am thinking its ER gF , which refers to water flow monitor. I assume thats in the back with the other solenoid valve which is working I think because I get water to the door solenoids.
Is there something in the ice maker to tell something to send power to the ice solenoid in the door? I thought it be the part I replace, my bad but cost of DIY !
Why would no 120V be going to the wires to energize solenoid for the ice but 120V is going to the solenoid for the drinking water.

I would appreciate any help possible.....

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mamb

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thank you for the quick response.
The diagram isn't all that clear on my laptop. Where is the board located?
Is there a way to test it or just hope for the best?
Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The main control board is located on the back of the refrigerator, once you pull the refrigerator out from the wall, you will see the cover that you unscrew to it.

Upload the schematic wiring diagram and I will show you where the water valve activates on it.

Jake

Mamb

Premium Member
Jake,
Some how I got lucky and found the service manual.
Attached the wiring schematic

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    548.8 KB · Views: 38

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I marked it for you in RED.

Screenshot 2021-11-06 13.37.05.png

Mamb

Premium Member
Jake
So I see now that the valve gets powered directly from main board. I appreciate your help with this. Good thing I found this forum. I like to learn how things work.

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Robert!

Jake

Mamb

Premium Member
I booked mark the site... I'm sure I will be back for other repairs :):)
I will let you know I how I make out

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Robert, sounds good.(y)

Jake

Mamb

Premium Member
Ok Robert, sounds good.(y)

Jake
Hello Jake
I am back with not good news LOL
I replace the main PCB , still no water for ice.
So I jumper the door switch, cycled the ice maker and everything was like before I replaced the board. So I got a bright idea to check the voltage at the terminals that you pointed out on the diagram, cycled the ice maker and when the rear solenoid clicked on the meter gave me 120V from those terminals. So Now I am like wtf. Go back up front check voltage at door solenoid again... still no voltage. At the top of the door where the hinge is I found a 4 wire connector, and there are my Blue and pink wires from the PCB board. I take them apart and check voltage on those wires. When the rear solenoid clicked on I got the 120V I need. So.... between the hinge connection and the 2 wires to solenoid is my problem. Big question, whats inside the door? and please dont tell me I need to replace the door!!!

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mamb

Premium Member
So the wires that connect at top of door go direct to the solenoid valve?
If so.... no way to pull new wires?

Ugh , thats big money , plus the money for parts already invested :(:(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the wires that connect at top of door go direct to the solenoid valve?
Yes.

If so.... no way to pull new wires?
I do remember another person doing that before, I forgot about that till just now, sure try that.

Look at post #5 here:
Your Kenmore 795 is made by LG.

Jake

Mamb

Premium Member
Whats got me baffled is both wires have no continuity. I pull on the wires and if one was broke you'd think it would pull right out of door. Especially since the break would most likely be at the top near the door pivot. The rest seems to be in case in the sheath and foam. I looked at possibility of pulling them thru but the end where the valve is has a connect thats put in thru the back of the plastic , no way to remove and pull wires. At this point, if the wire is broke and I have to spend 450 on new door, I am going to pull door apart and see whats inside LOL. I guess I am in disbelief a wire could be broke.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It happens more times than you think.:)

Jake

cmontg

Premium Member
Whats got me baffled is both wires have no continuity. I pull on the wires and if one was broke you'd think it would pull right out of door. Especially since the break would most likely be at the top near the door pivot. The rest seems to be in case in the sheath and foam. I looked at possibility of pulling them thru but the end where the valve is has a connect thats put in thru the back of the plastic , no way to remove and pull wires. At this point, if the wire is broke and I have to spend 450 on new door, I am going to pull door apart and see whats inside LOL. I guess I am in disbelief a wire could be broke.
We are having the exact same issue. A repairman came out and diagnosed a broken wire in the door with no way to repair. Did you take your door apart? This is our next step.

Mamb

Premium Member
We are having the exact same issue. A repairman came out and diagnosed a broken wire in the door with no way to repair. Did you take your door apart? This is our next step.
Hello, What i did was take door off, carefully routed wires down though top hinge and brought back out of door and routed down behind gasket. The went back inside of door down by the area the valve is located. Took a while because I didnt want to damage other wires. Taking the door a part I figured would be a disaster since it seems to be glued to the foam.

cmontg

Premium Member
Can you tell me which color wire was the one that tells the water to empty into the tray? My husband wants to try what you did before tearing apart the door but he isn’t sure which wire it is. Thanks for you replies.