• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.72493610 Kenmore elite side by side not cooling

Elvis17

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have a kenmore elite (795.72493610) that has stopped cooling properly. It's 13 months old. The freezer section gets to about 35F top part sits at 65F. I tested the resistance on the compressor. I get about 12 Ohms between the bottom and top left pin. The top right seems to be a dud. I'm not sure if that is by design or not. I've seen people say that the resistance should be the same across all pins with a linear compressor, I've also seen the top right not to be used in a diagram. Compressor is a LG FLA075LANA. I had the fridge powered off today for about 6 hours. After plugging it in, the compressor seems to make a noise, it also gets warm. After the compressor stopped making noise, I popped off the panel to look at the motherboard. The led on it was flashing 6 times.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what the culprit could be? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Take off the back panel inside the freezer and look at the frost pattern of the evaporator coil, take a photo of it and post it here.

Normal is a thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Your Kenmore 795 is made by LG for Sears.

I posted the service manual for the LG equivalent in post#2 here: FIXED LG LFX31925ST Giving error code ER RF

It will tell you how to remove the back panel to get access.:)

Jake

Elvis17

Premium Member
The fridge was disconnected all day. When I got home I plugged it in. Ran for about 30 min and then the led on the board started flashing 6 times. I took the panel of in the freezer. The compressor felt warm, the pipes inside felt slightly chilled.

IMG_2543.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

6 blinks means there's something wrong with the compressor. Check your owner's manual warranty, some models have up to a 5 year warranty on the compressor from Sears.

And from your photo above, you do have a compressor problem.

Jake

Elvis17

Premium Member
Since my last post I have power cycled the fridge. It's been running for about 26 hours. The fridge part has hit the target temperature of 38F, the freezer part is at 24F (target is 0F). The compressor and fan in the back stopped running now, no LED blinking on the control board. I can hear a sizzle as if water was dripping and hitting a hot surface in the back of the freezer compartment. Should I wait or should I take the panel off and take a look at what is looks like now?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait.

How is it doing this morning?

Jake

Elvis17

Premium Member
It's gotten to 12F and it's not going any lower. What are the chances of the thermometer being messed up, or is it it more likely that there's an issue with the closed system / compressor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor and fans are running and its only getting to 12 degrees that indicates a sealed system problem.

Jake

Elvis17

Premium Member
The freezer eventually made it to 0F yesterday. The led started blinking 6 times again. If the freezer is opened for 5 seconds, the temp goes up to 10F and takes about an hour to go back down to 0F. Is this normal behavior, or should the temp drop faster?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is this normal behavior, or should the temp drop faster?
No, its not normal.

The led started blinking 6 times again.
That definity indicates a compressor/sealed system problem.

Jake