795.73133410 Kenmore Elite In the Door Icemaker Making But Not Cycling Ice

Lancelot

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So I searched these forums and really did not find anything specific, but could have just missed the right thread. About 3 mos ago my Kenmore Elite French door (in the door) icemaker (made by LG I understand) stopped making ice. After discovering the magic test button and a few pushes, old ice broke and things worked again for a few weeks then stopped again. A push of the button would dump, fill with water, and freeze, but not cycle until I pressed the button again.

Not knowing any better, I replaced the ice maker (probably nothing wrong with it looking back), same result. Push the button and it dumps ice, refills, but simply will not cycle on its own. I have not looked for any diagnostic sheets which I understand may be attached somewhere, but can. I have an electronics background so checking test points, wire voltages etc, does not intimidate me.

I did read in one thread that a wire in the harness can break, but that was for a different model. I have tried different temp setting for the freezer and non-freeze areas, but that hasnt seemed to help.

Is it time to get into the diagnostics? check wire harnesses? Or could it be something easier?

Thank you very much for your time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I couldn't locate the tech. data sheet for this model either. Look underneath your top right side hinge cover, it could be there.

Yes, check your harness connector to the ice maker, it likely comes in to the door underneath the top left side hinge cover, take the connector off and check the metal contact pins inside each plastic connector to make sure no pins backed out, to cause this problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Lance, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake