• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.73139.411 KENMORE ELITE WATER LINE TO ICE MAKER FREEZING

Toppy1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello, I have a Kenmore Elite french door bottom freezer refrigerator model 795.73139.411
The ice maker is the slim in door type. It stops making ice because the water line to the ice maker freezes. When you press the "test" button, the tray rotates, tries to harvest ice (but its empty), then rotates back to the level position. Then I can hear it try to fill with water, but no water comes out. Local service guy came out and said water line to ice maker frozen. He unplugged from wall, turned water off, took out ice maker, used a hair dryer to blow warm air directly in the water line opening (at fill chute) to thaw water line, plugs back in and turns water on, hits test button and boom, water comes out normally and fills ice maker. Pay service guy, he leaves. Ice maker makes ice until bin is 3/4 full, then line freezes again. I've repeated the fore mentioned steps 3xs and the exact same thing happens. Tired of doing it and/or buying ice. Digital panel says fridge temp is 38 and freezer is 0. Put thermometer in fridge and it checks at 38/40. Put thermometer in freezer and it checks at -5/-7. The water line still dispenses water from the front.

We have very hard water. 9 months ago, had to take out ice maker and clean water line opening {at fill chute} of mineral deposits because water was spraying out instead of just running out and partially missing tray and freezing inside door area.

Could it be that since the freezer is at -6 (avg) its too cold inside the door and freezing the water line? Or could my problem be that the water line going to the ice maker is so full of mineral deposits that just enough stays in the line and freezes?

Sorry this is sooo long but I am at a loss and would appreciate any help. Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Usually when this happens the water valve is leaking letting a small amount of water get past the diaphragm, thus freezing up the water line to the ice maker.

Here's the primary water inlet valve in the back of your refrigerator for your model:
AJU72992603 Valve Assembly,water

Here's the secondary water inlet valve that's in the front door:
5221JB2010G Water Valve

Jake

Toppy1

Premium Member
Thx Jake! Will try replacing the secondary water inlet valve in the front door. Do you know of an installation video for this valve?

Thx again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this video gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.