• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.73153.610 Yet another Kenmore [LG] “freezer not cooling” problem...... :/

MommaFixIt

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I am so thankful to find this forum! Seems to be the most earnest & helpful in all of the World Wide Web! :) And I’ve been searching for days on end! Please be patient with me as I explain my exhaustive search & attempts to find a fix thus far. I see that many people provide you with too little information resulting in having to ask them multiple questions..... I’d rather give you a longer message and maybe “TMI” but one that will better narrow things down & possibly save time in the longrun. ;)
Issue: Kenmore Elite (i.e. LG) French door refrigerator/bottom freezer with in-door water/ice - model 795.73153.610 - not cooling (easy to find this seemingly common problem with many of the “795” LG models, but finding a solution has proven not so easy.)
Started first w/ freezer, noticed frost was forming on outside of packages, and food was softening & thawing. In door icemaker started leaking down front of fridge b/c ice melted. Continued to warm overnight and then noticed fridge started to raise in temp as well. Now neither are cooling. The owner/user manual provides zero help of course, and a service manual on this specific model is nowhere to be found.

I tried the test button on motherboard, ran through all processes, all sounded normal as far as I can tell. Tried unplugging/resetting, tried different outlet, etc. But there is no cooling now whatsoever. I don’t believe there is any ice built up and blocking internal coils or airflow b/c there is no melting/draining/leaking, and where condenser drains and drip drays are bone dry. I cleaned coils behind back panel of fridge of any dust etc., checked drain line by condenser fan for debris, it was clean. And fan IS running.

There is a small apparently useless “Diagnostics” pinhole in the top right hand corner of face frame when door is open — I tried sticking a paper clip in, there seems to be no “button” or anything to click or press on the inside, just smooth flat hard space. (I think there are “smart“ models that can work w/ a phone app but I don’t think mine has this capability even though the hole is there. Therefore I must have the “stupid” model.) Ha!

I have combed the web for days looking for solutions, and found parts and user manual for my model but it seems to be absent from the rest of the Internet as far as information goes. :/ “Wayne” on all the Sears videos performs repairs that sound hopeful in their title, but I go to watch only to find they’re mostly all based on bottom fridge/top freezer older white models that are in no way similar to this SS French door/bottom freezer model.

I’m the wife/momma/homemaker around here but I do have a Masters degree, so I do have a few brains cells to rub together. ;) (I only mention that b/c I’m weary of contractors and various service repairman talking to me like I must be clueless b/c I’m a woman.) But if I don’t know something, I want to learn, and want to try it. I’m a woman who happens to love woodworking and ANY type of home demo/reno projects, and a woman who requests only TOOLS when asked what I want for my birthday/anniversary/Christmas, etc. All that to say - I’m the one who usually takes on these tasks in our household. I’ve previously disassembled our washing machine and two different dishwashers to diagnose & repair (successfully, so far - thank goodness) as well as an HP laptop computer/total disassembly & repair. I want to learn and will try anything, just need instruction. However, disclaimer: I do not have a multi-meter and “electricity issues” is the one realm I’ve not yet ventured....but if you can tell me how to do it, I’ll get a multimeter and do it! :) BUT, my worst case scenario - “coolant problems” may be where I draw the line - I respect the training of those specialized technicians, and I don’t have the equipment nor the courage to try to go there. I would just like to do everything I can (with your guidance *insert praying hands here*) :) to narrow it down before having to humbly surrender to a (likely expensive) service call.

Anyway..... There are NO error codes on the digital display control panel, and did test modes 1-3 from test button on main board, but that did not trigger the LED light on board to flash with any error codes (which one of the videos I found demonstrated). I haven’t taken interior panel off from back of INSIDE the freezer yet, since it sounds like fans are running, and I could hear defrost kick on in the test, and since there seems to be no ice build up/ blockage - since there is no sign of any moisture, melting or water anywhere at all.

I don’t know what else it could possibly be other than problems with sensors, defrost timer, thermistor, coolant, or main board issues. I dont suspect issues with fan motors or compressor or start relay since they seem to be running. But if “running” doesn’t necessarily mean they’re “working” - then I’m ears. :) Any thoughts/advice/direction MUCH appreciated! [We are a family of 4 “alone together” during this historic COVID-19 isolation, and have already lost all of our frozen food and many of our refrigerated items. We can not afford a new fridge at the moment - especially since this one is only 2-3 yrs old - NOR a ridonkulous repair bill!]
I am happy to order parts and/or attempt to do the work, just need to know what to do! Please help! Sincere thanks, and God bless!
Erin (aka MommaFixIt) ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I dont suspect issues with fan motors or compressor or start relay since they seem to be running. But if “running” doesn’t necessarily mean they’re “working” - then I’m ears.
You nailed it!

The one problem with these Kenmore 795 made by LG and the LG brand refrigerators have been failed compressors, meaning they will run but won't cool. If you put your hand on the top of the compressor and its running, but you are getting no cooling, then you have a sealed system problem and 9 times out of 10 on LG and Kenmore 795 models made by LG, it's your compressor that has failed internally.

You will need to contact Sears at 1-800-469-4663 and they will send a tech out under warranty and verify its the compressor, then order it and replace it.

Jake

MommaFixIt

Premium Member
Jake, thank you SO much. Puts a burr in my saddle to have to call Sears for ANYthing. But if they will cover the cost, I guess we have to. I have a feeling they’ll charge a pretty penny though for the installation. :/ Do you happen to know by chance, if they ever cover JUST the part/ part only? We have a local appliance tech I’d rather use unless there’s some stipulation that requires Sears to do it.

Our local Sears store was one of the many that closed throughout the nation. Right after we purchased an entire 4-appliance kitchen “suite” set from them.....of course. Worst big home-purchase mistake we’ve ever made. Have had nothing but problems with them all ever since. Mainly the stove/oven, and refrigerator. The microwave and dishwasher perform poorly, and inconsistently at best.

I’m surprised the range hasn’t caught fire by now. Oven has smoked and seemed dangerously “overheated” since the day we installed it. Stays HOT for hours after it has been turned off; bottom storage drawer warps every time oven is used and will barely [forcefully scrape and screech its way] open; and grabbing a cookie sheet or baking pan from the storage drawer, while oven is on??.....well, I learned the hard way - will BURN you. Scorching hot, untouchable (and this is UNDER the oven, NOT in it.)
There is also a vertical cardboard-looking strip (from inside the oven door), that appears to have dislodged from the side, completely sticking out into the oven door window, visible between the glass.

Didn’t plan on mentioning all of that but I suppose if there are any other related known problems there too, I’m all ears on that also! Might as well kill two large birds with one stone. Ugh. (And the microwave and dishwasher by the way, well - they just suck. Sorry I couldn’t come up with a better educated and mannerly word, it’s just the truth.)

We had all-GE Profile appliances in our kitchen when we built our home 16 yrs ago. They were AWESOME. But the refrigerator had some sudden electronical arcing and apparent fire in the motherboard.... we were lucky, we’d been gone and just got home when it was happening. Could smell it as soon as we walked into the house. So of course we had to replace the fridge, but b/c of the age of ALL the appliances (around 13-14 yrs at that time) we decided that w should go ahead and just replace them all at once - for safety purposes b/c of our scare with the fridge. I’ll just say this — I’d give anything to have back my 14 yr old GE Profile duel-fuel gas range, and microwave, AND dishwasher — over these “new” Kenmore Elite hunks-o’-junk any day. (Elite?? Psssht. Nothing but an elite price tag.)
Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully this may help someone else and prevent another family from “Kenmore-curse.”

Thanks again for your help, and listening to so many people out there desperate for hard-to-find help with our appliance woes! I’ve read many posts on the forum, before I signed up and decided to present a problem of my own. You guys ROCK, thanks to you ALL - truly a God-send.

Take care, stay well!
Erin (MommaFixIt)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Erin for the nice compliments, I enjoy working with people to help solve their appliance problems. It started when I was 8 years old. LOL, Wish I had a video of my first appliance repair job back then at 8 years old.

When I worked for Sears after 11 years at Montgomery Ward, when Wards went bankrupt in 2001 and laid us all off, the compressor change out would be covered for parts and labor per the manufacturer warranty in the owner's manual. The only charge would be the one time trip charge, which back then was $60.

If it was a Kenmore only Sears could do it under warranty.

Basically all new Ranges made today don't have the superb insulation they used to have back in the 1970's and 80's and I get a lot of those complaints as well for a hot range when you touch it while the oven has been on a while. Unfortunately I have to bear the bad news about the poor insulation manufacturers are using these days.

Stay Well too!

Jake

mikegriffen

Be aware, though. Labor is NOT covered under warranty unless the fridge is less than 1 year old. Mine is almost 3 years old and I had the same problem on my model: 795.73153.610. I called the toll free number for Sears Repair last weekend - they sent out a technician to verify it was the compressor. $129 diagnostic fee just to verify what was wrong. After the $365 for labor + tax, I was on the hook for a $520 service bill.

P.S. If you tell the Sears Tech that you'll have your own tech do the labor, this action voids your 10 year parts warranty with Sears.

Good luck.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Mike you are correct, I just looked at the owner's manual warranty for her model.

They used to cover BOTH parts and labor for 5 years, that sucks they only cover parts now for 5 years.

Jake