795.74023411 Kenmore Elite french door fridge/freezer not cooling

dosbirn

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Came back Sunday after being out of town 3 days and refrigerator was barely cool and everything in freezer was thawed out.

Doesn't sound like the compressor is turning on but I'm not sure.

No error codes (not sure where they would be). Is there a diagnostic mode I start to see if there are any error codes?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the rear lower access panel and put your hand on the top of the compressor and see if its warm and vibrating, or room temperature and not vibrating.

I hand one do this same thing back in May, and the compressor was room temperature and not vibrating, and I replaced the main control board and it fixed it.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
EBR78940613 Pcb Assembly,main

Jake

dosbirn

Premium Member
The compressor was very hot & the fan next to it was working. We unplugged the fridge because we were afraid the compressor would burn up.

Before we unplugged, it was keeping the fridge/freezer slightly cool.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But was the compressing running?

Before we unplugged, it was keeping the fridge/freezer slightly cool.
Ok, lets check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils inside the freezer, just remove the back panel inside the freezer to access them.

Then look at the photos below and tell me which one it looks like.

(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

dosbirn

Premium Member
I will need to plug it in when I get home. How long should I wait to check the coils? A day? Could this possibly burn up the compressor if it has to struggle to reach the set temperature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let it run 4 hours, then check your evaporator coil.

Could this possibly burn up the compressor if it has to struggle to reach the set temperature?
No.

Jake

dosbirn

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. My husband said when he first took the back off (before we unplugged fridge), there was no ice/frost on coils. We are out of town again and cannot confirm it again until next week.

SD Paul

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. My husband said when he first took the back off (before we unplugged fridge), there was no ice/frost on coils. We are out of town again and cannot confirm it again until next week.
What was the result? This is exactly the point that I am at. Not cooling. No ice/frost on coils. Compressor is vibrating and warm and the fan is going.