795.74023411 Kenmore Refrigerator not cooling

SD Paul

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Sears Kenmore model 795.74023411
bottom freezer, french door refrigerator up top.
Coils iced up several years ago. Melted them with hair dryer and no problems since.
The label says manufacture was 2015.1, so I assume January 2015? I need to find our paperwork, but I believe we bought it spring or summer of 2015.

Night before last noticed things in freezer were getting soft. Found something jammed behind the freezer drawer and thought it might have been ajar, but not sure.

I followed another thread to this point, but it then stopped without telling the resolution.

I see no error codes.
All fans seem to be running (fan inside over coils. fan in rear by compressor).
There is zero ice on the coils behind the freezer compartment.
When the compressor fan is on, the compressor is warm and vibrates. I'm pretty sure the compressor made more noise when it worked, but hard to remember now that it is not working.

SD Paul

Premium Member
Follow up:
The compressor definitely sounds like it is running now. I removed the two rear panels (control board and the compressor, vacuumed the rear coils, unplugged it twice and pushed the button to run the test twice.

The freezer temperature is down in the 48-50 range and the refrig is about 60, so it is cooling some but not well enough.

What could that mean?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Paul,

It sounds like a sealed system problem. Look at your evaporator coil in the freezer to see what your frost pattern looks like. Take a photo of it if you can, then post it here.

(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

Let us know.

Jake

SD Paul

Premium Member
I saw this picture in another post, and it doesn't look like any of them because there is no ice at all.

I was wondering if that could be a symptom of a leak and/or low pressure?

This morning the freezer is 48 or 49 and the refrig is 60. Ambient temp is 73, so it is still cooling, but not much. I'm using a good digital meat thermometer with a tether so I can I read it outside. It is accurate for room temp and high temps when cooking. I am assuming it is OK for the refrig temps. It seems about right from feel.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coils then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Check your owners manual warranty, some of these Kenmore models have up to 10 year warranty on the sealed system. If you do have Sears come out 1-800-4MY-HOME

Jake

SD Paul

Premium Member
It's less than 5 years old so I think parts are supposed to be covered but not labor. I'll give them a call.

From what I have read, labor for replacing this compressor is in the 300-350 range. That's fine if it can be fixed for that. Are there any gotchas that would make it cost a lot more? I want to avoid paying that much (or much more) and then have it not fully fixed.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are there any gotchas that would make it cost a lot more?
There shouldn't be.

When I worked at Wards and Sears I replaced many compressors under warranty and all went well with no extras.:)

Keep us posted on the progress.:)

Jake

SD Paul

Premium Member
Service man came out today. $99 for service call and it will be $251 for labor to install it, so $350 total. That is about what I expected based on reports from other people. The annoying part is that even though I knew it was most likely the compressor and told them so that they knew it was most likely the compressor he didn't bring a compressor. That means it is only being ordered today, and the first available appointment for installation is not for 3 more weeks!

I don't know if I should have or could have done something differently, but it is frustrating to go a month without a refrigerator, especially over Thanksgiving.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes I completely understand Paul.

Techs have to verify the compressor is shot before they order it, its always been that way and always will be that way, unless there is a major recall like back in the late 1980's when GE recalled all their rotary compressors, then shipped thousands of the old reliable piston compressors to all the service centers, then we would go out and replace them without ordering them.

You could always by another refrigerator and sell the LG after its fixed to get your money back.

The most reliable compressors are on Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake

SD Paul

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. We'll suck it up for now.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them to order and ship a compressor? It is being shipped directly to my house. They tech said that once I have it I can call back and there is a chance they could move up the appointment. Implication was that they are conservative with the appointment times until the part has arrived.

They will deliver the compressor directly to my house. Do you have any idea how long that usually takes? They were noncommittal, which is what I would expect. The tech said to call back once it is delivered and maybe they can schedule an earlier appointment. The implication is that

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I worked for Sears, they would ship all parts to the customers house and it would take about 3 or 4 days, then we would come back to install the part one week from the day we were there to order it.

Or sooner if time would allow.

Jake