795.74025.411 Kenmore Elite everything in the freezer thawed

StanH2019

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My refrigerator is barely 3 years old. A few days ago, we noticed the bottom freezer and the food inside of it had some frost on it. I didn't think much about it because my kids are constantly opening and closing it, and I just assumed maybe it was left open a little too long. The following day, we noticed frost all over the ice maker. I took it out. Cleaned it up, and put it back in.

Two days later, everything in the freezer had thawed, and everything in the refrigerator was basically at room temp. I checked the settings. Everything looked normal, and there are no error codes. It is not in demo mode. I pulled the back bottom cover and did not find that the coils were dirty. I can hear the fan(s) kick on after I plug the refrigerator in.

I placed my phone inside on video with something in front of the vents to see if there is actually air blowing through, and it appears there is no air flow, not even warm air. I don't have a clamp on amp meter, so I'm not entirely sure if the compressor is functioning. But again, it's only 3 years old. What could be going on here? Please help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and feel the top of the compressor and see if its vibrating and warm to hot.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
I feel a small amount of vibration, but it's not warm at all. The vibration I feel might be from one of the fans.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Stan, If your compressor is NOT running, then unplug the refrigerator and remove the compressor start relay device and ohm test it with a multimeter set on the lowest ohms of resistance, I set mine on 200 ohms.

The compressor start relay device mounts on the side of your compressor. It should just pull off, if you have trouble pulling it off, pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

Here it is for your model:
EBG60663230 Thermistor Assembly,ptc

Normal ohms should be between 0 to 12 ohms on your model.

If it ohms good, Plug the refrigerator back in, then take a voltage reading on the compressor start device relay, on the 2 wires RED and BLACK and see what you get. Leave your meter probes in it for awhile and see if you get a constant 120 volts.

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
The relay tested good at 1.2 ohms. I checked voltage at the connector that would be plugged into the compressor and plugged the refrigerator on. Meter read about 8 volts and slowly climbed to about 15 volts. It then started to jump all over the place. It was jumping from 20 volts to well over 120 volts, and I don't understand how that would even be possible.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Stan,

Did you put the compressor start relay device back in place on the compressor and see if the compressor would start? If the compressor does not start within 5 minutes then the control board is likely the problem per your odd volt readings you were getting.

Here's the main control board for your model:
EBR78940612 Pcb Assembly,main

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
Thank you. I will check the voltage again when I get home this evening just to be sure. If the board turns out to be the issue, I will contact Sears as it should be under warranty. I'd like to wire 120V directly to the compressor just to be sure the compressor is ok and will run.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd like to wire 120V directly to the compressor just to be sure the compressor is ok and will run.
Yes, that's fine to do, use a cheater test cord, any electrical store should sell them.

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks for your help so far. I did a little more troubleshooting this evening. I'm attaching a picture of the circuit board. The circle on the left is incoming power.....checked out at 120V. The circle on the right is what I believe the power wires (black and gray) going to the compressor. Sure enough, checking voltage there indicated very strange readings. It would settle at about 16.8 volts and then slowly start to climb. I would watch the meter go all the way to 199 V, and then it would go back to 16.8 and start slowly climbing again. I watched it do this multiple times, and each time it took about 15 to 20 seconds to climb from 16.8 to 199 volts. I disconnected the capacitor on top of the board and checked again....same thing. I don't have a schematic, but is it safe to say the issue lies within the board? I assume you need a consistent 120V to start and run the compressor, and I'm definitely not seeing that. Thanks again.
20190717_201737.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
is it safe to say the issue lies within the board? I assume you need a consistent 120V to start and run the compressor, and I'm definitely not seeing that.
Yes, I agree it should be a consistent 120 volts.

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
Jake,

Just out of curiosity, have you seen this particular issue before? I'm probably going to order the board, but it's not too cheap. I'm hopeful but concerned since the board is only 3 years old. Thanks again.

StanH2019

Premium Member
One other thing....when I plug the power to the compressor in, I do feel a very small amount of vibration. However, the compressor never gets warm, and the voltage supply is still jumping all over the place.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I had one of these 795 models made by LG do this in my area a couple years ago, the compressor was not running and wasn't warm at all either, just room temperature, but the condenser fan that mounts next to the compressor was running so I ordered and replaced the main control board and went back to the customers house to replace it and that fixed it.:)

One other thing....when I plug the power to the compressor in, I do feel a very small amount of vibration. However, the compressor never gets warm, and the voltage supply is still jumping all over the place.
You mean with a cheater test cord directly to the RED and BLACK wires that go to the compressor?

Jake

StanH2019

Premium Member
No this was with the OEM plug. Originally I thought the vibration I felt was coming from the fan. When I unplugged the power to the compressor, the vibration stopped, but the fan next to it continued to run. I plugged it back in, and a few minutes later, it started to vibrate again. It just never did warm up. I talked with a guy here in town that has worked on these, and he said I have a variable speed compressor that explains my strange voltage readings. Does that sound right to you?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually variable speed compressors have a inverter board instead of the compressor start relay device.

Its best to have Sears come out to see what's going on, if the compressor is vibrating then you may have something else going on. The one I had in my area the compressor wasn't vibrating at all.

Contact Sears at 1-800-4-MYHOME and they will send a tech out to your house.

Jake

supernova16284

Premium Member
Hi,

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and feel the top of the compressor and see if its vibrating and warm to hot.

Let us know what you find.

Jake
If the compressor is running, should it be vibrating and warm to the touch? Sounds like it, just want to clarify.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is correct. (y)

Jake

supernova16284

Premium Member
Compressor is vibrating but cool now (ambient)....does this tell me anything? Just trying to narrow everything down as best as I can before I call the service guy. Your reply is greatly appreciated!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It's still a compressor problem.

Jake