• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.74043.410 Kenmore Elite refrigerator - ice building up at bottom of fridge, makes noise when doors closed

weez

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi There,

Probably similar to other problems, but I can't quite figure out what. Our Kenmore Elite refrigerator (with bottom freezer) is exhibiting a couple of problems:

1. The bottom of the refrigerator is freezing. Food in the bottom drawer and bottom left drawer are freezing.
2. The refrigerator generally is warmer than it should be.
3. The refrigerator fan makes a ton of noise when running with the doors closed, but stops when the doors are open.

I disassembled the interior of the refrigerator to find a ton of ice buildup on the coils on the back wall.

The question is: what do I do next to troubleshoot what is causing all of the symptoms above?

Thanks!

Note: I am unsure of the age of the refrigerator. It came with the house we moved into 6 months ago.
The photo attached shows the ice on the coils. There is quite a bit more on the lower coils that you can't see in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 100

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That noise you hear with the doors closed is likely the evaporator fan motor hitting that ice on the top of your evaporator coil.

Lets first ohm test the defrost sensor to see if its good.

Unplug your refrigerator first. You will need a multimeter to ohm test it.

Here's how: Remove the defrost sensor controller from the refrigerator side evaporator. Put the sensor inside a small glass and fill it with crushed ice, then just enough water to cover it. These sensors have a slow response time so leave it in the ice water for five minutes then measure its resistance. At 32*F the sensor should be at 30K ohms, +/- 5%.

Here's the defrost sensor controller for your model you can order if yours tests bad:
6615JB2005R Controller Assembly

There is a video in the part link that shows you how to access it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

weez

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you! I will test with an ohmmeter shortly.

The video at the link you provided for the part talks about replacing this piece in the freezer section. Just so I'm clear, is there one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator? Are they the same? I should be testing the refrigerator one, correct?

Thanks,
Patrick.

weez

Premium Member
Okay, so I sandwiched the refrigerator temp sensor between two frozen ice packs (the best I could do with what I had). The resistance kept going up and started leveling off at about 36.5ish. What does that tell me?

At room temp (70 F) it seems to sit around 13.

Additionally, before I took the fridge apart, I did clean out the drainage tube, which seemed a bit clogged. Could that be the sole reason for all of this?

Last edited:

weez

Premium Member
One more note - on a whim, I decided to put the sensor into our freezer in the garage. I'm honestly not sure what it is set at, but after leaving it in there for about an hour, it read 38 on the ohmmeter. I'm not sure if that piece of data is worth anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The video at the link you provided for the part talks about replacing this piece in the freezer section. Just so I'm clear, is there one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator? Are they the same? I should be testing the refrigerator one, correct?
They are the exact same, yes Patrick.:)

At 32*F the sensor should be at 30K ohms, +/- 5%.

Yours is very close, so it should be good.

So then the only other part it can be causing this issue is the fan motor itself:

Jake

weez

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Is there a way to test the fan to make sure that it is actually the culprit? FWIW, when I spin the fan blades, I do hear a little bit of noise, lower in volume to what I hear when the refrigerator is running with the doors closed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It is probably getting the correct voltage to it, but the fan motor bearing is possibly worn out. Rotate the fan with your hand, if it feels sticky, then replace it and that will fix it.:)

It a 13 Volt DC fan motor.

Also look at this diagram below, it tells you what to check:
Er rF (1).jpg

weez

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. The refrigerator is not showing an error. I wouldn't say the fan feels "sticky". Here's a quick vid of the sound it's making when I spin it:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that does seem sticky to me in your video.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it should.:)

Jake

weez

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I ordered the fan part you suggested, installed it, and plugged the refrigerator back in. After a few hours, it is now showing an "Er rF" error. This was not present before I replaced the fan.

Any suggestions here? Obviously not great that with the new fan I'm getting an error that I didn't have before!

Patrick.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Patrick, Then that fan is defective, contact them and tell them to send another new one.

Jake