• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.75199401 Kenmore Elite, "Er dH" code. Where's the defrost sensor and temperature fuse?

sasgrw

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Elite refrigerator, model 795.75199401. It's a french door with the freezer on the bottom.

The digital panel on the front shows error code "Er dH". About 2 weeks after the error code showed up, the refridgerator stopped cooling. The freezer continued to work.

I took the panel off the inside of the back of the freezer and the evaporator coils were frozen over (which sort of makes sense because that's what "Er dH" means.)

The evaporator fan works fine.
I checked the fuse on the main control board on the back of the refrigerator with a multimeter and it works fine.
I unplugged the defrost heater and whatever was plugged in next to it and checked the plugs with a multimeter and they both work fine.

I defrosted the evaporator coils then put everything back together and plugged the refrigerator in. It ran for 24 hours before the "Er dH" came back on. The refrigerator section is now cool again but I suspect the coils will freeze over again and the refrigerator will stop working.

The manual says that "Er dH' is "Failure of defrost mode: When defrost sensor doesn't reach 46 degrees within 1 hours after starting defrost".

Where is the "defrost sensor"? I'm guessing that the sensor is at 0 degrees (or whatever temperature the freezer is set on) and when the defroster kicks in, it should detect that the temperature is going up in order to melt the frost off the evaporator coils. If the sensor doesn't detect a high enough temperature within 1 hour, it causes the error to be displayed? How hot is the defroster supposed to get? It sounds like at least 46 degrees.

I want to rule out that the problem is the defrost sensor but the service manual doesn't show that part in the diagram.

The manual also says "Snapping of Defrost heater or Temperature fuse, pull out of connector." I'm not sure what that means. What is "snapping"? I think part of the manual might not have been written by a native English speaker. I think they might mean "unsnap defrost heater", meaning disconnect it. But that's just a guess.

Where is the "temperature fuse"? What does "pull out of connector" mean? I had unconnect ("snapped out"?) the defrost heater and whatever was plugged in next to it.

I tried to chat with a Sears rep and they said they'd be happy to send a technician out to diagnose the problem. I think I'm very close to fixing this myself but am having trouble with all the defroster parts.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's called the Defrost Control and consists of the defrost sensor and FUSE-M. Remove the defrost control from the evaporator. Put the sensor inside a small glass and fill it with crushed ice, then just enough water to cover it. LG sensors have a slow response time so leave it in the ice for three minutes then measure its resistance. At 32*F the sensor should be around 30K ohms.
Sensor 6615JB2005H Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Sensor-6615JB2005H--00684633.jpg

sasgrw

Premium Member
Thanks, Rick. The picture you attached looks like the other part that's plugged in next to the heater. It's zip tied to the evaporator coils so I think I can handle cutting that off then zip tying it back on. The picture shows two flat panels. Should I make sure both are in the water? Which one is the fuse (or will it look like a fuse after I take it off and can look at it closer)?

rickgburton

Staff member
The thermistor/sensor is attached to the two orange wires and the fuse is blue and brown wires. Only the sensor needs to go into the ice. More ice than water, remember you're trying to reach 32*F - 33*F.

Lisacdl

I have the 795.75196401 model with this same code.

I looked for this thermistor/sensor but I don't have orange wires. Could it be different for my model?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your model uses the exact same one Rick listed above.

Click this link to watch the video that shows you how to access it: LG 6615JB2005H Defrost Sensor

Jake

T

tper

I have a 16 month old Kenmore Elite Model#795.74023410.

The refrigerator froze up with ice and I keep receiving this error code.

I have replaced the defrost sensor #6615JB2005R and Main control board # EBR78940616. The problem went away for about a week. Then started happening again. If I unplug refrigerator and plug back in it lasts about 2-3 days before error code comes back, preventing me from using ice maker and water feature.

I ordered another main control board and had a Sears repair person come to install control board. He arrived and told me this is the wrong board. I told him this is the board Sears said is right for my model. The original control board has this same part number. He told me these boards are malfunctioning due to humidity. He told me I needed to order control board part number ABY74191402 as that is the right board to fix this problem.

Problem now is Sears or LG no longer offer this board. They reference the EBR78940616 as the board to use. I can find this control board online but do not want to order another $180.00 board especially if it will not fix the problem. Repairman advised me this is a common problem with this refrigerator. When I called him back to advise him Sears does not sell this board his reply is he can get this part and fix my problem but will cost me $680.00.

I spent $3200.00 on this refrigerator only 16 months ago. Sears reply is I should have bought the extended warranty, or purchase another refrigerator. Can anyone help?

rickgburton

Staff member
Something sounds screwy with that part number. EBR78940616 is the correct number. If you try to order or input this number ABY74191402 into a parts search field it changes to the EBR78940616. He is correct about this problem.

It's a very common problem for several LG models. I don't know about the board being the fix. He might be right but I haven't heard of anything.

I understand what he's saying, all the new replacement boards are failing but you can't get an older board unless it's straight from LG. Even then, I don't think LG has the answer either.

T

tper

Thanks Rick for your reply. What is your recourse to your customers who are having problems with these control boards malfunctioning. Are there any other ways to fix this problem of the refrigerator coils from freezing up and defrost not working because of controls boards not working, which once the relay detects the defrost is not working not only sends a error code, all the controls on front door don't work either such as water and ice dispenser fail to work either??

rickgburton

Staff member
I Replace the board again and return the old one for warranty. Access the wire connectors above the evaporator and measure the resistance of the defrost heater (32-42 ohms), defrost sensor (22K > ohms) and Fuse M (0 ohms).
Snapshot_1.jpg

If good remove the cover over the main control board and locate the small black test/reset button. Use a pencil and press the button three times. The display will show 33 33
Snapshot_2.jpg

Locate CONN3 on the board and measure the voltage between the orange wire and the blue wire. If the voltage is 0 replace the main board.
Snapshot_3.jpg

If the voltage is 120 VAC release the test by pressing the small black test button once. Display goes to normal cooling mode. Measure the voltage between the orange wire and blue wire again. If the voltage is 120 replace the board.
Snapshot_3.jpgSnapshot_4.jpg

Once the display shows an error code it becomes unresponsive until you clear the code. It will come up again during the next defrost cycle unless the problem is fixed.

Kek

We have a Kenmore Grab-n-go, Model# 795.70332410 that is getting the ER DH error code. We are assuming the defrost sensor is the problem and have been trying to find the correct part for this model and have not been successful. Could it be the defrost heater which is what Sears Parts Direct website suggests? We haven't taken the refrigerator apart yet, we thought we would get the part and only have to take it apart once.

We have a Sears repair person scheduled to come on 10/25 but would like to try and avoid the expense of that. We live in the country and just the cost to come this far will be enormous!

Any help/suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Ant6312

Premium Member
Hi, I have the same model referenced above. 795.74023410 and recently I have the er dH code. I've noticed the ice build up in the fresh food pantry for a few weeks. I pulled out the defrost sensor and placed it in a cup of ice as directed, and it's at 27k ohms. It's been over 5 minutes in the ice with some water. Is 27k ok? Or out of spec. Was wondering if any new info on this model has surfaced since the last post Oct 2016. If my sensor is good, what is the next step in diag?

Ant6312

Premium Member
I didn't check the heater. I checked the sensor at it measured at 27k ohms. Is this acceptable? How do I test the heater?

rickgburton

Staff member
LG says it should be 22K ohms and they don't give a + or - so I would say it's not acceptable. The heater should be 34 to 42 ohms.

Ant6312

Premium Member
For the model 795.74023410? My fresh pantry heater has 110 ohms. I tested my freezer heater at 155 ohms. My pantry defrost sensor measured at 27k ohms after being in the ice water for 5 min. I also tested my freezer defrost to compare it too, same 27.5k ohms after 5 min in the ice water. My problem is in the pantry evaporator freezing up, I just pulled out the freezer for comparison.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I'm going by a similar LG French Door machine. Locate your tech sheet. Those values will be listed on the sheet. They may be different from the one I have.

Ant6312

Premium Member
Sorry if there's any confusion, I'm the consumer. Does a tech sheet come when you purchase the fridge? If not how can I obtain one? I appreciate your help and time bud.