• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

795.79044.310 Kenmore Elite Refrigerator has a terrible smell, like plastic burning.

JNAPES

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So for about a week now there is a terrible smell coming from the fridge. Seems like it happens when it's in defrost mode. Smells like plastic burning. Don't see any smoke, just the smell. I saw a post here that had something plastic get into the heating element and cause that kind of smell, but I don't think that's what's happening here. I don't see where anything could have gotten into where the element is at. The rear coils are clean and so is the drip pan. Also, I assume the element is working because there is water in the drip pan. The fridge and freezer seem to be working fine. Ice cream hard, meat frozen, and drinks cold. There are no error codes either. This is a 6 year old single door fridge, bottom freezer, Kenmore Elite fridge made by LG. Looks just like the pictures attached. Can anyone tell me how to go about checking the element? How to access it? Directions? I'm not the handiest guy, but I have fixed my washer/dryer and oven in the past by watching YouTube videos. Car too. But the fridge scares me for some reason.. Thanks!

Attachments

• spin_prod_889525712.jpeg
    spin_prod_889525712.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 87
  • spin_prod_889525612.jpeg
    spin_prod_889525612.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 62

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Back panel ( #332C ) comes off to access the defrost heating element. Remove screws and pull of the plastic cover.

F1403016-00001.png

jeff.

JNAPES

Premium Member
Jeff1, thanks for the info. The smell went away so I'm holding off on doing this. Maybe somehow something got on the heating element and burnt off? Everything seems to be working fine. Question, if the element went bad and stopped working, is this the type of fridge where an error code would come up in the fridge & freezer temp screens? I saw other model LG made fridges that do that. Thanks again!

Attachments

• spin_prod_889525612.jpg
    spin_prod_889525612.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 62

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
is this the type of fridge where an error code would come up in the fridge & freezer temp screens?

I couldn't honestly tell you. So many fault codes are as useful as a $3.00 bill.

if the element went bad and stopped working

You would get a frost build up on the cooling/evaporator coils and the temp would increase as the frost blocks air flow.
Might get an air flow fault code...which like I said is useless....JMO!

jeff.

JNAPES

Premium Member
Thanks, Jeff. Is there anyway to test the heating element without actually getting to it? Like maybe from behind at the electric panel? Probably not, but I gotta ask. LOL.. :biggrin: Also, if I do need to replace it, do you know what the part number is for this model? Thinking of picking one up and have it ready in case it is bad. It sounds like it's working though. Fridge still makes all the same noises from what I can remember when the smell came about. Thanks again, Jeff. I greatly appreciate the help. :encouragement: