795.79754.904 Kenmore Refrigerator High-pitched whine from 10yo refrigerator

GregL65

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We're hearing a high-pitched whine sometimes from our 10yo refrigerator, a Kenmore Elite model 795.79754.904, serial 908KR00052, manufactured August 2009.

It has very gradually gotten worse, and has become very annoying in the last several weeks or so.

What can I do to troubleshoot it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Greg,

Can you make a video of the noise you are hearing and upload the video here?

Also if you can pinpoint the noise that would help too, is it coming from inside the refrigerator? Is it coming from behind the refrigerator? Underneath the refrigerator?

Jake

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks, here's a video.

Also a picture of the sticker on the compressor, and a picture of the model information inside the refrigerator:

The sound seems to be coming from the compressor. Though the sound seems a little more obnoxious if I stand in front of the refrigerator, it gets quieter if I put my head inside the freezer or inside the main refrigerator area.

Listening from the back with the panel removed, the sound is definitely coming from the compressor area, not from the fan area.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I believe you are right, its coming from the compressor.

LG has had a lot of compressor problems, you one of the lucky ones that it went this long without a problem:

All the techs here including myself recommend Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, and Amana for the most reliable compressors.:)

Jake

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks -- is replacing this compressor reasonably a DIY project, or does it require special training?

Also -- Is it possible to replace the compressor with a different brand of compressor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All Kenmore 795 models are made by LG.

Compressor replacement is not a DIY project.

The EPA in the USA now requires you to have a refrigeration license to replace compressors, I got mine in 1994 when the law went into effect.

You will need a licensed refrigeration tech. to do it, and most will charge you $500 plus to replace it, not worth it in my opinion since its already 10 years old.

Jake

GregL65

Premium Member
Thanks, but $500+ to repair sounds more attractive than trying to replace it. The color is bisque, and finding a used one we like probably isn't going to happen. A new replacement is likely to cost at least around $1,500, with no new features we particularly care about, and it still probably wouldn't be bisque. So we'd be looking at going to a different color for the other appliances too, or live with the mismatch.

Is it possible for a tech to fix it some other way than by replacing it with the same model of compressor? For example, is there a more reliable compressor that can be swapped in?

Is it possible to rebuild compressors? With better components than original?

Thanks,

Greg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member