FIXED 796.40272900 Kenmore front loader won't power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajcrowley

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi I have a kenmore front loading washer model # 796.40272900 that was in our house when we moved in a year ago. To get the washer to power on we would have to unplug in, and then plug in back in. Today even doing that did not work. The outlet works fine. Do you think it is the control board? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a Kenmore 796 made by LG, I haven't worked on any of these as of yet, but I'll attach the service manual below so you can troubleshoot it.

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi AJ,

Were you able to found the issue to your won't power ON problem?

Jake

mmmm

Premium Member
I have the same problem with a washer that the manual sent in this thread covers. I have a question about the testing for continuity on the noise filter. The part electric supply goes through first on this washer. In the test on page 38 for the line filter, it says to check for continuity
between WH(1) and RD(3) = 0 ohms
between WH(3) and RD(1) = 0 ohms

I'm wondering if this is a typo and should instead say to test for continuity
between WH(1) and RD(1) = 0 ohms
between WH(3) and RD(3) = 0 ohms

I don't have continuity the way the manual says to test but do have continuity between 1 and 1 and also 3 and 3.

Below I've loaded a picture from the service manual showing the part and its schematic.

washfilter.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't think its a typo, but I could be wrong.

Did you check the fuse on it for continuity?

Here's the line filter for this model:
LG 6201EC1006T Noise Filter Assembly

You can also check the voltage in and out on it, when plugged in you should get 120 volts in, between 3 and 1 on WH1, then 120 volts out between 3 and 1 on RD1.

Jake

mmmm

Premium Member
I get continuity between 1 & 1 also between 3 & 3 and none the way the manual says at 1 & 3 and 3 & 1.
I do get 120 going in and 120 coming out though , so I'm assuming the filter is good even though the repair manual says I should have cont. between 1 & 3 and 3 & 1. Did you see what I was referring to on that schematic and the test instructions? I am going to defer to your judgment on this because I don't read electrical schematics very well. In fact they confuse me to no end but I can usually make heads or tails of them eventually. Only if they are correct though. Can you double check please? I really appreciate you replying to my question on the same day I posted it. It's been very helpful.:biggrin-new:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I see what you mean, but I can't verify if its a typo or not. This Kenmore is made by LG, and I don't service LG products.

From the diagram you posted it looks correct, but I don't understand is why you don't get continuity per the diagram and you still get 120 volts in and 120 volts out.

Wild is our LG and Samsung expert, I can ask what he thinks.

Jake

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
The continuity test is a misprint. You are right in your measurements and you should get 120 volts on the other end of the filter.

As for the unit not turning on after each wash, there is a control board issue and it will need to be replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting Wild, thanks for the input, I learned something too from what you said.:)

Jake

SPC

Premium Member
My Kenmore front load washer still won't stay on

The LED display on mine will come on and stay on as long as I hold the power button down but it will soon turn off once I let go. None of the cycles will start. I tried unplugging the washer and plugging it back in but all it got me was the PF error code. I called Sears who told me it would be at least a few hundred dollars without even asking me too many question so I would like to see what I can try before calling them back. Are there any suggestions on what I can look into to narrow down my issue?

Thank you for your help...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
wildimaginations had to go out of town for a couple weeks so you may not get a response from him.

Do you have the exact same model number 796.40272900? If so, I posted the service manual in post#2 it will tell you what to test for your issue.

Its either the user interface board: EBR62280701 Pcb Assembly,display

OR main control board: EBR62545101 Pcb Assembly,main

When you order parts from AppliancePartsPros or RepairClinic, you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem.

Jake

SPC

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes I have the same exact model and have downloaded the manual you posted. I wasn't sure which test to run or what parts I might want to try. I will take a look when I get home today and order the parts.

Thanks again,
Sandra

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Sandra, wish I could tell you which part would fix it, but since I haven't worked on this Kenmore 796 model made by LG, I can't really say unless I tested those parts per the service manual.

Let us know.

Jake

SPC

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I followed the two threads in the manual that seemed like the possible culprits and they both led me to replacing parts so I am going to go ahead and order both parts you suggested yesterday and try them one at a time. I'll let you know if that works. Thank you much for your help.

Sandra

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Sandra, that's best to do, order both then install the control user interface board first and see if that fixes it, if so you can return the main control board for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake

SPC

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

It worked! I did as you suggested and tried the display board first. When that didn't work I replaced it with the old one and installed the main control board. So far so good, I did the load tests in the repair manual and ran the washer cleaner function and it all worked. Thank you so much for the advice!

I had resigned myself to needing to buy a new washer and after this, I won't have to :)

Thanks again,
Sandra

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Sandra, glad to hear the main control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.