796.4031 Loud noise from Kenmore LG washer when trying to spin

quicker

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Guys,

Last night I started hearing a noise out of our washer. In watching it, it sounds like a bearing noise when the machine is trying to tumble or spin.

This video tries to capture the noise. kenmore-LG washer -IMG_6305.MOV - Google Drive

When empty it will spin (and make the noise) but with anything in the tub it just sits and you hear the noise.

It sounds like a bearing but the fact that it wont spin or tumble with any weight in it makes me think something is broken in the drivetrain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

quicker

Premium Member
thanks for the reply. I actually pulled the back off the washer today to find that the bolt holding the rotor on had backed out on its own?? I couldn't believe my eyes considering it looked like it had some kind of loctite on the thread and it also had a lock washer. Also the washer has never been opened before so this bolt was as originally installed from factory.

This bolt backing out allowed the rotor to spin and strip the spline in the center (white plastic/vinyl). So the drum would spin up when empty but any weight in the drum forced the spline to slip. Also the rear bearing looks fine, the noise seemed to be coming from the rotor bouncing around as it spun.

Has anyone ever seen this bolt back out before?
IMG_6308.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, that's a first for me.

It sure sounded like the drain pump to me, because the tub was almost at a standstill and it was still grinding the same per your video. The drain pump runs whether the tub is rotating or not.

Did you tighten that bolt down good and now its fine with no grinding sound?

Jake

quicker

Premium Member
not yet. when it loosed up it stripped the spline on the rotor (white plastic/nylon). Just waiting for new rotor.

thanks again.

quicker

Premium Member
Any idea what the torque should be when tightening that bolt? don't want it to come loose again :(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Sorry but there is no torque specs for the rotor bolt. I usually just tighten down the bolt with a ratchet by hand, then give a couple of good whacks to tighten down another quarter turn.

The reason the bolt backed out is because the plastic rotor splines stripped from the shaft causing it to move freely no matter how tight the bolt was. While the rotor was able to move freely, it naturally backed out the bolt all by itself. It's not because the bolt was able to loosen itself.

I always replace the bolt anyway because the lock washer on the bolt is already compressed and probably not as effective.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Wild for clarifying that.:)

Here's the rotor bolt for this model:
Bolt 4040FR4051C

Jake

quicker

Premium Member
OK new update/problem. I replaced the stator with OEM part. Did 3 loads of laundry and now I have the LE error. Locked motor??

HELP!!

quicker

Premium Member
Sorry meant to say I replaced the ROTOR with oem part. And now have the LE error.

Any ideas?

Tks

quicker

Premium Member
Would installing a new rotor have done anything to this? I didn't see anything about having to align the rotor etc. what seem so strange is that the machine worked great for 3-4 loads and then presented this error????

Thanks in advance.