• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

796.40441900 Washer stops towards end of cycle with 14 min left

RaginCajun77

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have a Kenmore front load washing machine, model 796.40441900. The last time it failed to complete a full cycle we had seen before it powered off that it had about 14min to go till it was done. Clothes are soaking wet some suds and suds in the detergent tray. We thought the first few times that water was coming from the detergent tray but this time it came from somewhere inside the machine. This happens about every 10-15 loads....

Alright, this is my first post pretty much ever on a blog. I'm hard headed and have to figure stuff out on my own. Still no clue where the water is coming from for this but my new question is, if the hose from the washer pump assembly unit Parts #: 3108ER1001A, off the small port from the washer wash pump side ie. looking at the front of the washer the motor on the right side, if this hose is gunky and/or clogged will that cause the washer to quit during the rinse/spin mode and cause no error codes. And on another note I need the ohm resistance for this motor the drain pump motor is 10-15 but I can not find it for this one. Thanks in advance to whoever's able to understand my ramblings.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, locate your tech sheet behind the lower panel. Follow the instructions to enter service test mode and check for error codes.

This is for a similar model and may work for your machine:

The machine must be empty and in the off state.

Press and hold the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons simultaneously.

Press the POWER button

Release all buttons when you hear two chimes

Press the START/PAUSE button to cycle through each test

Here's the tests:
(click to enlarge)
test lg fl.jpg

RaginCajun77

Premium Member
Did that...twice. goes thru no issues. No error codes either. Its acting like it's not filling fast enough on the rinse cycle or it's not evacuating the water correctly. The drain pump ohms out at 15 right in the middle of what the tech sheets say. 10-20. But the washer wash pump has no ohm testing listed and no ohm rating. But its is at 27-28ohms. Is that a good pump. Or is it solved by the hose from the washer wash pump to the top of the door seal where it sprays water back in to the tub that I cleaned out basically like you would a rifle. Lack of better words pretty sizable pile of cat poop. Sorry, is what it is. Oh and by the way this is the steam model if you didn't already realize, they are the only ones that have the reserculation pump from what the tech sheets said.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Its acting like it's not filling fast enough on the rinse cycle.....
I haven't seen this problem before. Intermittent problems like that are the hardest to diagnose. Maybe one of the other techs has seen this before.

RaginCajun77

Premium Member
Yeah. There was only one other case that came close and they never replied if it was fixed. Had just about all of the same issues but when the wife said she had done about 15 loads since the last failure and me rechecking everything. I started looking at the pumps more. To be honest, maintenance wise we have been super bad. I have cleaned a lot of build up out lately. This last hose and the door seal are the last thing that I've set on tackling. Door boots last till we know there's nothing else like the main board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Washer stops towards end of cycle with 14 min left
What I would do is babysit it, then when she shuts down or before she shuts down, see if you hear the drain pump humming and getting 120 volts and not running to drain the water.

Here's the drain pump for your model(Video Included in part link)
4681EA2001T Drain Pump Motor

Do the same for the circulation pump when it should be running. Even if both ohm fine they can still mechanically go south.:)

Here's the circulation pump for your model(Video Included in part link):
4681EA2002H Recirculation Pump Motor

If no 120 volts to one or the other when they should be running, then its new main control board time.

Here's the Main Control Board for your model:
Main Control Board EBR62545105

Jake

RaginCajun77

Premium Member
Jake, I haven't done anything yet, but I had one last question. One of the times I put it in diag mode, I was looking at something else while all the lights were on and with it just sitting there they all started flickering. It still went through the test modes just fine. Is this something I should worry about. Its happened after about 1 or 2 minutes. Just wondering if I need to worry about the board too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
One of the times I put it in diag mode, I was looking at something else while all the lights were on and with it just sitting there they all started flickering.
Possibly yes, it could be a faulty control board.

Jake