FIXED 796.41382 Kenmore Mid-wash, machine stopped and indicated an LE code

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Mid-wash, machine stopped and indicated an LE code. Wife tried turning the machine on/off, no change. I got home from work, machine had no more lights on the front panel and was totally DOA. Unplugged it. Ordered up a replacement hall effect sensor per web conventional wisdom. Replaced sensor. Put machine back to together, reconnected water lines. Nothing. Machine won't light up, click...nothing. Pull the top off machine to locate any obvious wire issues...can't find anything. Accessed primary PCB box. Smells as if it's been warm. No obvious burned parts or discolored PCB, but with entire board conformal coated, can't visualize the bottom of board. Jiggled all connectors....no joy. So what to do next? Can order up new primary control board, but if that doesn't resolve the problem, them I'm playing a game of musical parts. Bad wiring harness? Bad control board? Bad front display board? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott
San Diego

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Scott,

This Kenmore 796 is made by LG, if your machine acts dead, You will need a multimeter, then I'd first check the noise filter, you should 120 volts into it, then 120 volts out of it.

Here's the line/noise filter for your model:
EAM60991301 Filter Assy

If that's good, then I remember a thread from one of our members here: FIXED: 796.40272900 Kenmore/LG front load washer-no power

He found the heater was causing this "dead" issue and he removed the wires from the heater and it came to life again, because the heater was bad, thus no continuity through the heater.

Here's the heating element for this model:
AEG33121501 Heater Assembly

Make sure you unplug the washer first before removing the heater wires.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, very nice of you to weigh in.....would a faulty noise filter cause the machine to act dead with no panel lights?

I ordered a replacement control board, but, as you can imagine, playing musical parts to try to troubleshoot the issue tends to be an expensive and time-consuming process.

Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
would a faulty noise filter cause the machine to act dead with no panel lights?
Yes.

I ordered a replacement control board, but, as you can imagine, playing musical parts to try to troubleshoot the issue tends to be an expensive and time-consuming process.
Did you read the other thread I linked to above?

That's why it's best to do a process of elimination before ordering parts.:)

And also remove the heater wires too.

Do you have a multimeter?

If you don't own one, it would be a good idea to purchase your own Digital Multimeter. They are not that expensive and come in handy for a lot more than just appliance repair.

This is the one I own, and will also measure oven and refrigerator/freezer temperatures:
Digital Multimeter DM10T

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
120 volts in and out of noise module....check.

Disconnected wires and harness to the heating element, plugged in the machine....no lights on front panel.

Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Scott, good, then it's most likely the main control board that's bad.

The reason I say most likely is there's really no way to test it without the tech data, which I don't have for this model. That's why process of elimination is how to do it without the tech data sheet.:)

Here's the main control board for your model: EBR78534505 Pcb Assembly,main

And these Kenmore 796 models made by LG have had a fair share of bad main control boards from others here saying the same.

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
Installed new control board. Board red led turns on and control panel chimes on when the power button is pressed, but no lights or indicators, no response to rotation of selection knob. All connectors are connected....I'm at a loss.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

I really don't know then, you'll need to have Sears some out to see what's going on: 1-800-4-MYHOME

You can return the control board for a full refund, less shipping, if you ordered it from my link to it above.

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
Hi Jake, they sent the wrong circuit board. Very similar but yet different. Have the correct board on order from Sears.

Thx,

Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Don't order it from Sears, just return the wrong board they sent and tell them to send another one, there will be no charge at all from AppliancePartsPros.:)

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
That's the part number that arrived that is the INCORRECT PCB. Correct exact replacement is pic attached.

2019-04-05 08.14.59.jpg

The 4505 PCB is missing CAPS, has connectors in dissimilar places and rotates the orientation of the connectors....clearly a different PCB and although it's similar, I believe it's different enough such that it isn't driving full functionality of the front control panel.

Scott

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WTF is going on here, now I see two main control boards for this model A450(EBR78534505) which is what I linked you to above, and A450A(EBR78534105) which is not even listed on the parts diagram: https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/i9syosvx9b-000582/kenmore-79641382410-washers-parts

No wonder Sears went bankrupt, LOL

NOTE to self, never recommend Kenmore appliances to anyone anymore.:)

Ok Scott, go ahead and keep your Sears order and see if that 2nd main control board A450A(EBR78534105), that didn't even show up when I looked it up, fixes it.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes sir, that's putting it lightly Scott.:)

Jake

jumpshowhigh

Premium Member
To close the loop, circuit board replacement did the trick. I'm pleased to report machine is back in operational order. Note to future readers: in this particular case, the circuit board control module needed to replaced with exactly the same part number, not the cross-reference suggested by several appliance parts websites. So all-in, hall effect sensor was $12, first circuit board was $160 plus overnight shipping of $45 however the $160 will be refunded, and the correct circuit board was about $220 plus expedited shipping of around $45. So washer was down for a week and the parts ran me about $300. Mind you this is $850, three year old washer which is supposed to be a durable good.....not so much from my perspective. Thank you Jake for the helpful guidance....greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Scott, glad the 2nd main control board A450A(EBR78534105), that didn't even show up when I looked it up, fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake