• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 796.61523210 Kenmore dryer shuts off as soon as start button is pressed

jrf2352

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a kenmore elite model 796.61523210 that will power up normally but immediately turns off when I press the start button for a cycle.

The metal frame is also energized when the start button is pressed (I was touching the back one time and as soon as I pressed start I got a lil shock)

At first I thought the outlet might be wired incorrectly (I just moved from Florida to VA and transported the dryer in a haul) so I checked that & the outlet and dryer are both wired up correctly i.e. common and both phases are in the correct spot and +-120v to each phase.

I pulled it apart to see if any wires had pulled out or lost insulation that could have caused this with no luck. All of the grounds connected to the frame are good also so not sure why it would be energized. The only thing I could think would cause that issue would be one phase hooked up to the ground terminal.. any other ideas?

I also tried it in air dry mode to see if it was an issue with the heating element but no difference there, all coils measure ~24 ohms and none are shorted to ground.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this? Or another website I could post to that may be able to help?

Thanks!

Video:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So this problem just started at your new place in VA? It was working perfect in Florida? And no shocks in Florida?

Jake

jrf2352

Premium Member
Correct.

I tested the ground in another outlet on another circuit breaker - touching the frame of the dryer and a probe in a separate grounding socket shows continuity, and I’ve tested voltages on the 240V outlet and the pigtails on the drier to make sure the ground and each phase are wired up correctly.
I am stumped as to what else could cause this though

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So this problem just started at your new place in VA? It was working perfect in Florida? And no shocks in Florida?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it sounds like you have a bad neutral in your home breaker box for the dryer breaker, this happened to me a couple years ago. You will need to have a electrician come out fix it for you.

Jake

jrf2352

Premium Member
That was my first thought (the wiring in this house is sketchy) but I tested the outlet and it seemed fine.. is there any way to test this before bringing in an electrician? If the neutral was bad would it still measure 120v for each phase and 240 across them?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the neutral is bad you get what's called Ghost Voltage, meaning all the voltage readings are perfect, but when you start the machine, they go to 0 volts, that's why your dryer shuts off when you press the start button.

Jake

jrf2352

Premium Member
That was the issue! Ground and neutral wires were swapped so that the outlet was wired to the earth ground.

Can you explain how this works? The multimeter shows continuity between the neutral and ground, so what is the difference between these wiring configurations?

Looks like something to do with capacitive coupling but I don’t understand how that works if they’re both connected at the breaker box.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That was the issue! Ground and neutral wires were swapped so that the outlet was wired to the earth ground.
Excellent, glad that was all it was.(y)

Can you explain how this works? The multimeter shows continuity between the neutral and ground, so what is the difference between these wiring configurations?

Looks like something to do with capacitive coupling but I don’t understand how that works if they’re both connected at the breaker box.
Sorry, I don't know either, I'm not a licensed electrician.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.