• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

796.81072310 Kenmore Dryer turns off before clothes are dry

JCdryer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Dryer not fully drying clothes, stops after about 15-20 minutes. Attempts to restart the dryer don’t work for about 45-60 minutes later. Takes about three times and many hours to get one load dry.

First replaced the Thermistor Assembly Replacement Part. Didn’t help. Cleaned out every nook and cranny when the dryer was apart. Made sure that the hose to outside was clean.

Next replaced the Thermostat Thermal Fuse and Thermostat. No change.

What should I try next? Tried all the inexpensive replacement parts first. If I need to replace the control board, I need a part number as I could not find that information.

Thanks!

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
81072310 is not pulling up as good, you should have 3 digits in front of that number like 110 or 417 or 796

Read the model number from the model number tag on the machine, which should be located inside the door.

Jake

JCdryer

Premium Member
Here you go!

Attachments

• 1636586170971.jpeg
    1636586170971.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 29

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Perfect! Thanks!

Its Possibly a build-up of fabric softener on the moisture sensor bar, below your filter housing, that's causing this problem, use rubbing alcohol on a cloth to clean the moisture sensor bar first, and see if that resolves it.

Here's the moisture sensor for your model:
lg-sensor-pressure-ebd50964602-ap5679979_01_l.jpg

Your Kenmore 796 is made by LG.

Jake

JCdryer

Premium Member
Took dryer apart and the sensors looked clean but wiped them with alcohol anyway. Found some additional lint in the housing that holds the lint basket. Cleaned that out. Put the dryer back together and tested it on a load of t shirts. Got the majority of them dry. Great progress. A couple were damp. Tried to restart the dryer to get the three others dry and it won’t start back up. Had this problem before. After about 45 minutes when it cools down, it will start again but not right away. Basically, I press the button to start and nothing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now do some loads on TIMED DRY only and see if it gives you this same problem of the dryer not starting till after it cools down.

If so, then I'd disassemble the dryer and check for lint build-up around the motor causing it to overheat and not run for the remainder of the loads.

Here's the motor for your model:
lg-motor-assembly-dc-4681el1008g-ap5669767_01_l.jpg

This video shows you how to get access to your motor:

Make sure you disconnect power to your dryer first!

Jake

Last edited:

JCdryer

Premium Member
Will try the timed dry. Motor is clean as we have had the dryer disassembled three times to change the parts listed above and to access the moisture sensor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then its possibly a bad motor, but I'm not 100 percent sure as I rarely work on Kenmore 795 models made by LG.

So you may want to get Sears to come out at 800-469-4663 to confirm that before you buy a new motor.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you tried to start it back up did the motor just hum like it was trying to start?

Jake

JCdryer

Premium Member
No hum. One of two things generally happens 1) pressing the power button and the dryer does not light up or come on or 2) press the power button, the dryer lights up but pressing the start button, the dryer doesn’t start

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I've not run across this issue before, so you may want to get Sears to come out at 800-469-4663 to see what's going on.

I'd hate to have you order a new motor or new control board and that not fix it, because you can't return it once you install it.

Jake

JCdryer

Premium Member
Thank you for your help. Can you please tell me the correct part number for a control board for this dryer? You provided me with the motor part # in comments above. I need to consider what to do next.

Step 1 in this whole saga was having the Sears tech come out and do a maintenance check on both the washer and dryer because neither was working correctly. The washer now works fine. The techs answer to the problem was changing out the exhaust hose to the more rigid type which was done. And he said “if” it was the control board that would be a $600 charge. He didn’t know if it was the control board or not. So I started to diagnose what could be the issue and to use this blog for help.

So getting the Sears tech back out for the same problem that he came for the first time has me a little concerned that I will pay $100 dollars each time to get another guess. This is my issue goi g forward but I may not have a choice at this point.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome!

Jake