• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 8-10 Year Old GE Microwave Fuse Blown -- model JE2160CF001

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Model Number
JE2160CF001
Brand
GE
My estimate of the age is uncertain. I realize if the fuse is blown it may mean something else is wrong but I would like to try replacing the fuse and see what happens.

The circuit board says 250/125volts 20 amps but it doesn't say whether is fast or slow blow. I know I can order a GE part online but I want to get on with this today so I'll settle for an equivalent fuse. Can someone tell me whether this GE model uses a slow or fast blow fuse?

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply.

I did notice that in that list of microwaves GE isn't mentioned, but it's the best I can do.

Untitled-1.jpg

jim

i_am_jim

Premium Member
I just replaced the blown fuse, It's come alive and I just heated a cup of coffee from the fridge. This says to me the door interlock switches are probably okay. Now I'll wait to see if the fuse blows again, in which case I'll buy a new microwave.

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Well, it worked for three days and blew the fuse again. Both, times it's blown the fuse when we hadn't been using the microwave for several hours. We discovered it when we wanted to use it. This last time it happened sometime in the night and I discovered it when I was going to use it the next morning before I touched it. The way you know it's blown, the clock display is black/blank.

Is there anything you can think of that might be a relatively simple fix?

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Well, it worked for three days and blew the fuse again.
When?
Opening the door?
Closing the door?
Pressing start?

This last time it happened sometime in the night and I discovered it when I was going to use it the next morning before I touched it.
I don't know of anything in the microwave that would trip the fuse when not in use.

jeff.

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Okay, I guess it's possible it happened when I closed the door since I was finished using it I might not have noticed the time display went blank.. But, because I'd read the door switches could cause the fuse to blow if the unit was running when the door is opened I'd made sure the magnetron had stopped before opening the door.

ChrisJS

Premium Member
Jeff,
I have this same model GE JE2160. The fuse (both the breaker trips & the 250V blow at the same time) only blows if you open the door while the microwave is on. IE: you're heating something and just it the open door button to stop it vs. cancelling/stop.
As long as you wait until it stops or you cancel it before opening it works fine. The unit is about 15 years old, but it doesn't get heavy use. Visibly nothing looks out of adjustment and the latches do not appear to be worn. Primary or secondary interlock switches? What do you think? Thanks,

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
Hi,

So far it does sound more like a door switch/door switch mechanism issue.
Pull the 2 wires from the anti-short door switch and tape them up. Retest and see what happens.

jeff.

ChrisJS

Premium Member
Jeff,

Is the "anti-short door switch" the Primary Interlock, Monitor Interlock, or Secondary Interlock? Thanks.

ChrisJS

Premium Member
Jeff, the microwave is mounted above our oven so accessing it to test or check isn't just popping off the cover. So I have accessed it again. The Monitor Interlock, Primary, and Secondary all test fine. I can't get any of them to stick no matter how fast I click them. I can't see any "visible signs" of wear on the buttons that would suggest they aren't activating quick enough. But that said, the only time it blows is when someone hit the door open button while the microwave is still on.

Could it be that there is just enough play in the pivot points of the bottom lever thru the linkage activating the switches that it's not breaking the circuit quick enough when the door button is punched while the microwave it on? I'm stuck.

My wife is using is a reason to start shopping for a new microwave.:(

ChrisJS

Premium Member
Jeff,

Time will tell if this solution works long-term. But since the switches all tested OK. I came up with this theory....there is just enough wear and play in the linkage that the Normally Open Monitor Interlock switch isn't getting opened quick enough if someone opens the door while the microwave is running and it blows the fuse. I noticed the gap behind the switch (see photo) the switch pivot flexes back when the door is shut. I made a shim out out of a short section of zip tie and filled the gap (see photo) Now the switch opens a fraction of second faster, should someone open the microwave door while it's running. So far so good! However, I don't know if this is going to keep my wife from shopping for a new microwave! Thanks for all the advice. - Chris

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
That definitely looks like it would move and was not holding in place tightly....good catch!

Once you tied it the fuse stopped blowing?

jeff.

ChrisJS

Premium Member
I never ended up tying them off and testing it. I didn't have another spare fuse at the time. Anyway....I have an update...My wife opened it today at lunch while it was running "accidentally:unsure:??" and it did NOT blow the fuse, so I think I got it. Thanks again for the direction, it was helpful. - Chris

vwEric

Hey everyone, been meaning to join this site and this post gave me a reason. (was researching if Ge microwaves use fast or slow burn fuses, was the final answer fast?)

Anyway I'm a Appliance Tech out of little old delaware and ive been running into quite a few GE microwaves constantly burning fuses lately. And one thing i find that they all have in common is the "Latch Board" (the part that holds all 3 switches) have had deep grooves worn into them from the latches on the door. Not one has had a switch issue for say, but if u move the door at all it seems to lift off one of the switches and pop a fuse. So far ive repaired 5 this year by simply replacing the latch board itself, you can even move the door while in operation and no longer blow fuses. Seems its boiled down to a weak plastic Latch Board that wears down too fast as being a problem here, and a fairly cheap and easy fix. Hope this helps someone :)

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
nd one thing i find that they all have in common is the "Latch Board" (the part that holds all 3 switches) have had deep grooves worn into them from the latches on the door.
door switch mechanism issue
Yupper, worn holders will blow fuses :(
Thankx for your input :)

jeff.