82V40-1 Water Heater Not Heating H2O

eddie57

Premium Member
Model Number
82V40-1
Brand
My water heater does not seem to be heating the water. It is just warm. This occurred today while I was washing dishes. It is a RheemGlas Fury, electric, 240/208 AC only. The water heater was MFG in 11/2009. I have had this water heater for 9 years. It is on a timer, but I haven't used the timer in years and the timer is set to on.

PS: I had not drained the water since I had it installed until about a month ago. I didn't have an owner's manual, so it was not done correctly. I just did a search on Google and it says I was supposed to turn of the water heater power, close the hot water taps and to operate the relief valve release lever. Do to lack of research, this was not accomplished.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Eddie,

Make sure the breaker is OFF, then open your upper thermostat/element cover and see if you have a RED RESET BUTTON on the thermostat, if so press it.

Next(make sure your breaker is STILL OFF): Using your multimeter, ohm test for continuity through the UPPER element itself by touching your test leads to both element screws at the same time. If you have no continuity the element is bad, however if you do have continuity you still need to do one more test.

Check each screw separately by touching one lead to the screw and the other to the water tank. You should have no continuity this way, unless the element is shorted out and you are reading through the water.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

eddie57

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I called a friend who has experience in water heaters and he came by and said it was the water heater timer that was faulty. He tested the voltage to the timer and it was good and then to the heating element and there was almost nothing. He bypassed the timer and I am waiting to see if it worked. Going to give the WH an hour and a half before I run the hot water. After the bypass the multimeter read slightly over 240. I will follow up and let you know if it worked. Thanks for your comments.

Eddie

eddie57

Premium Member
It worked. Glad that is all it was. I had purchased the heating element and removal tool, but I didn't need the parts after all. The water is super hot or that's how it feels. I took a shower with cold water yesterday and with this cold weather the water was icy cold. It didn't feel good at first but them it wasn't too bad and I actually felt pretty good after that cold shower. Thanks again.

PS: What is the lowest temperature setting that is safe?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Eddie, glad that was all it was.:)

Are you going to leave the timer bypassed? There really isn't any need for a timer unless your power company sets higher afternoon/evening rate increase times, like mine does.:)

PS: What is the lowest temperature setting that is safe?
120 degrees.

Jake

eddie57

Premium Member
Yes I am leaving the timer bypassed. Thanks again. My light bill is very reasonable. I live alone and own a smaller home. My last electric bill was $67. House is all electric. I think most of that $67 is for the WH. On the WH it says annual costs average $550. That averages to over $40.

On the temperature, what happens if the temp setting is say 115?

Thanks again Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On the temperature, what happens if the temp setting is say 115?
Its however hot you like it, everyone has their own preference. I keep mine at 130 degrees.

And my neighbor, who we just installed his new water heater two mondays ago, he bought it from Lowes in Buckeye, Arizona and its made by A.O. Smith and his is hot enough at 120 degrees he said.

Jake

eddie57

Premium Member
My sister said that her family (4) tends to run out of hot water when they take showers in the morning. Their water heater is 9 months old and is a Rheem. I raised the temperature on the unit a few degrees to around 125 this past weekend.

I haven't talked to her since, but I told her if they take long showers and if they all take showers one right after the other, that will happen.

I know when I lived with my sister years ago and she showered first, I wouldn't get any hot water, so my goal was to beat her in the shower in the mornings. Not sure why some people take 15-20 minute showers. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It also depends on how big the water heater is.

A family of 4 should have at least a 50 gallon water heater.:)

Yes, the hotter the temperature the more showers you can take one after another too.:)

Jake

eddie57

Premium Member
I spoke to my sister yesterday and she said the increase in thermostat temperature setting didn't help. I only increased to temperature to around 120. I am going to move it up to another 5 degrees. She said they weren't running out of water until September. The summer was hot and so were those pipes. I told her that since she has copper pipes, during cooler weather when the hot water runs through these cold pipes it affects the water temperature.

I Googled the issue of not enough hot water and it said that it could be a broken dip tube. I don't think that is the problem but I am not an expert. How does one determine if it is the dip tube? Thanks

Eddie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's possible. I've never seen a dip tube split or break before, but when I worked at Sears and Wards I didn't have that many water heater service calls(my main service calls were refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, ranges, ovens), but someone who repairs water heaters day in and day out probably has.:)

Find a good plumber in your area and ask them.

The Dip Tube

"The dip what?" you might say. In every water heater, there is a plastic tube parked in the cold port that brings cold water to the bottom of the tank to be heated -- and preventing it from mixing with already-heated water in the top of the tank.
If that falls into the tank or splits or breaks, then cold mixes with hot and suddenly your water heater doesn't work nearly as well as before.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Eddie!

Jake