• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

911.41085 Start Button - and ONLY the Start Button - Not Working

amahler

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We tried to use the oven today and the start button has ceased to work in any context. The membrane "feels" right, but it's hard to tell for sure. Every other button works properly, but I can't get the start button to operate in any context where it might be used (including the Special Function mode where it simply confirms calibration settings for a technician). Resetting power to the oven does nothing.

On the surface, it -seems- like the button itself must be what failed, but I want to be sure it might not be something else.

We've had the ribbon problems in the past and, some years back, I ended up inserting a small piece of paper to deal with the contact shorts it tends to develop. That solved the problem (more than once) and everything has continued to work. This, however, is a new development.

I've cleaned the contacts on the ribbon cable, tried the ribbon cable gently torqued a million ways (reseating it, etc). Under no conditions can I get the start button to function, though.

Is there anything I can jumper purely for testing purposes that would simulate a start button press? It doesn't seem like jumpering pins 1 & 2 of the ribbon cable (which the data sheet seems to indicate handle that function) achieve anything (nor does shorting 12 and 14 to simulate the bake button being pressed). That said, maybe I didn't do it properly since it was just a brief test on my part.

Any thoughts on more significant tests I can do before I commit to $350 to replace the control panel itself? My control pane appears to be part number: WB36T10162

Thanks!
- Aaron

amahler

Premium Member
I got around to dealing with our oven's bad start button again today. We've been too busy to do any baking, so it hasn't been a big issue.

I remembered a friend of mine at work has the same model oven (and cooktop) - I think he liked ours when I installed them years ago and went with the same models for his kitchen. This fortunate turn of events allowed me to run over to his house today with the front panel and plug the ribbon cable in place of his (all of three screws to do this... quick and easy). Same problem... no start button but everything else works. That, to me, confirmed the button and meant my oven controller was likely fine.

Resigned to spending $360+ for the replacement, I figured I had nothing to lose tonight tearing into my bad unit as a last ditch effort to fix it. I discovered that the buttons on the front simply peel off like an unholy thick sticker with incredibly simple and easy to trace "wire" paths (really more like lithographic conductive traces on film). It appears traces 1 and 2 (which are pins 1 and 2 where the ribbon meets the controller) are the pair that, when shorted, trigger a start press. This was the information I was trying to find in my earlier post concerning which pins I could short to test the oven's logic when I didn't know whether it was the button or the controller.

Now knowing this, I shorted the two pins with ends of some breadboard wire I had and the oven fired right up as expected.

Long story short, I now have a small red momentary pushbutton embedded in the front faceplate neatly wired into pins 1 & 2 of the ribbon. Works like a charm. Yes, it's mildly ghetto looking to have a lonely red pushbutton on an otherwise smooth faceplate, but it gets us going for now and will likely last until we remodel the kitchen someday and likely install a new oven. :)

Thought I'd share!
- Aaron

amahler

Premium Member
Oh, I meant to add in my previous post that problem appears to not be the start button membrane, but rather a blackened/corroded spot on the 1 and 2 traces about where it becomes the ribbon cable and bends through the faceplate opening. Not sure if that was the result of a surge (thunderstorm?) or just burnt itself up over time from use. Either way, I didn't see any obvious way to repair the trace or jumper over it... hence my push button installation.

- Aaron

Don't Trash It

Premium Member
Ribbon diagram

IMG_20180327_090854.jpg

Don't Trash It

Premium Member
My fan screen was clogged and not letting any air move through the electronics' cabinet. I could get at it from behind to clean it out, but if you can't, you might be able to use high pressure air to blow the clog out from the front.