• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

970-658420 Kenmore Refrigerator rear bottom panel question

Cam777

Premium Member
Model Number
970-658420
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello All.
I tried asking Samsung directly but they could not answer my question and it would appear that getting a hold of a technician is next to impossible without a service call.
In any event here is my question.
I have 2 Kenmore Refrigerators (made by Samsung) and I removed the rear bottom panel (aprox 10 X 30 in) to vacuum the condenser unit and the coils etc.
Very simply, I would like to know if it is ok to leave these panels off in order to facilitate easy future cleaning and possibly to provide additional air flow to the condenser and coils.
Thoughts please?
Thank you

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
is ok to leave these panels off
No, the cover over the machine compartment is designed to direct airflow across the condensor and compressor. Without a model number that's about all I can tell you.

Cam777

Premium Member
Hello. Thank you very much for the reply.
one fridge is a bottom freezer unit Model nbr 65602 with a steel rear cover
the other is a top freezer Model nbr 970 658420 with a cardboard or masonite cover
Furthermore your response seems to match a recent query internet search.
I just thought more air would be available to the condenser unit and cooling coils but it does make sense.
I'm sorry but as a consumer I guess we always think about the money-grab situation whereby the manufacturer doesn't want u to maintain
the appliance and would rather have us purchase a new one every 10 years or so.
I recall as a kid my parents had fridges with the coils on the back of the fridge which were easily cleaned. No longer the case I guess.
In any event, thanks again for your prompt and informative reply.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look at the back cover and you'll see only one side has holes/slots. The condensor fan pulls in the air from those vents and across the compressor from the front of the machine because the machine cover doesn't have any vents on that half of the cover. The condensor gets the airflow across one half from the front and the condensor fan blows the air across the other half. Without the cover the fan would just blow the warm air from around the compressor across some of the condensor coils. The condensor contains the hot saturated gas and by cooling the condensor the refrigerant condenses back to a liquid. A static condensor, the one mounted to the back of the machine, didn't need any cleaning and it didn't need a fan because of the large surface area dissipated the heat. Then someone said we can save all that space needed behind the fridge by making it smaller, folding it up and putting under the machine then use a fan to cool it. The rest is history.