• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

970-86133001 Microwave blows fuse as soon as it's plugged in

Rehan

Model Number
970-86133001
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there.

My Kenmore microwave blows a fuse as soon as I plug it in while the door is closed. If the door is open, the fuse is fine (but the microwave doesn't power on, of course).

I don't see any obvious loose components or shorts. What are the most likely reasons for this problem?

Thank you.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Door switch defective?

My Kenmore microwave blows a fuse as soon as I plug it in while the door is closed. If the door is open, the fuse is fine. What are the most likely reasons for this problem?
It sounds like one of the door switches may be defective.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are many replacement parts available for that model (see attached PDF). If you locate the defective part you may need to contact Frigidaire (the maker of that model for Sears) and ask for a part number or try to find an alternative locally.

Often microwave door switches are a pretty common type. You might be able to take the defective one to a local microwave service agent to match one up from another brand.

Dan O.

Attachments