• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

970C670220 Kenmore Induction Stove DANGER! Fire Hazard!

wind_rose_2

Premium Member
Model Number
970C670220
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My wife was up at 6 am and heard the stove Beep she then noticed the two left stove top elements were powered on to the PB setting. Fortunately there were no pots or metal on the cooksurface as the elements were both "Live" and would have heated and metal on the surface. She then had me look and l saw the same, putting a pot of water on the element it would begin to heat up. Turning the control and the temperature settings were all working but could not be shut off.
I pulled the breaker and let it sit for a minute and all went back to normal. We are just never going to leave anything on the stove top without being there.
Hopefully someone may have had the same issue and be able to tell me how to remedy.
It is a Kenmore Induction model 970C670220 ser # VF44407059

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've never worked on one of those models but by looking at its wiring diagram it's either got to be the burner "Generator Board" or the User Interface Board that sends the signal for the generator broad to turn on. Full power (240v) is always at that generator board so it wouldn't be a stretch for it to activate by itself during a malfunction.

Most likely IMO
LINK > Generator Board / Control Asm.

The only other possibility I see.
LINK > UI Board

Definitely keep an eye on it. It might have just been a fluke after a power surge or brownout. Electronic appliance controls frequently experience them. That's why the first service solution is often "unplug it and plug it back in again" in a hope to 'reset' them.

You could also file a notice with the CPSC and Health Canada. See the first couple of references at this link:

LINK > Appliance Recalls and court settlements regarding major home appliances.

Dan O.

wind_rose_2

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, had realized that after checking more closely. There may be an issue with parts shared amongst different models and the recall certainly accurately describes what had happened.
The powering off to reset appears to have worked but we will be vigilant and pull the breaker when not around and leave nothing on the stove top. It may have just been a freak occurrence but it serves as a lesson that accidents do and can happen!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
wind_rose_2 said:
There may be an issue with parts shared among different models and the recall certainly accurately describes what had happened.

Those are two totally different designed products. It'd be like comparing a city bus to a Volkswagen Beetle. While they both have wheels nothing else is common. Unless whatever you read applies to an 'induction cooktop' it doesn't apply to your problem.

I still say you should report the issue. Others may have experienced it as well (like this report) and the consumer safety bureaus are looking to get more incident reports before asking the manufacturer to investigate.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

wind_rose_2

Premium Member
I have reported it...just trying to establish who the actual manufacturer was...as apparently Kenmore never actually made anything. Can you tell from the model/ serial #??

wind_rose_2

Premium Member
Just an update, l received a call today saying my new replacement stove is to be delivered Monday...not certain exactly who is supplying it or if it was been from my complaint to Electrohome? Frigidaire? or the Canadian Consumers? No email notification or anything just a call saying a new one is being delivered!