• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 970C670431 Kenmore Oven Temperature

gabwey

Premium Member
Model Number
970C670431
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Oven (model 970C670431, serial VF65100091) which most of the time gets to proper temperature. Other times, it takes foreever to reach the proper temperature.
I tested it yesterday, and the oven reached the proper temperature when I hit stop and preheat it displays temperature 100 degrees cooler than preheat temperature. My bake element is not visible so it's difficult to determine if there is any issue with it.
Oven Sensor-bake element-control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located a thread similar to your model, I'd first check the back element:

Like @Dan O. mentioned in that thread, Canadian Kenmore models are difficult to find any parts or tech. data information on.

Make sure you disconnect power to the range first! Its probably located in the very back of your range, but without the parts diagram or service manual I'm not 100% sure.

gabwey

Premium Member
Hello,
Thank you for the quick reply.

Here are the pictures of the electrical schematics I found at the back of the range. Is it helpful?

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 52

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is the parts list and tech sheet 808533902!

Attachments

• 5995679650.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 970C670431 Range Service Data Sheet 808533504.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 47

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck.(y)

gabwey

Premium Member
Hello,
I did some further testing this weekend.
I have checked the broil and bake element for continuity, and both were OK.
I have checked the temperature sensor, and the resistance was within correct range. I have also checked with an oven thermometer, and the oven is precise to the temperature requested.

My problem is intermittent.
This morning, I tied to preheat the oven to 400 deg F. The oven went up to 360 deg C (as displayed on the oven and checked with an oven thermometer) and then stopped heating. The oven display showed the correct cycling of the element even though they did not seem to work.
I then stopped the oven and then try the broil command. The broil element did not turn red, and does not seem super hot. The oven cooled while under broil.
I then stopped the broil and tried bake again, to no avail. Temperature is not rising anymore.

Does any of this helps with diagnosing my problem. I have read in other forums that it could be the control board or the relay. Would that be it?

gabwey

Premium Member
I did some further testing.
For the baking element, I see 240 V between the feed and the ground. The resistance of the baking element is 0 ohm (measured on 20 Mohm scale)
For the convection element, I see 120 V between the feed and the ground. the resistance of the element was 0 ohm.
For the broil element, I see 0 V between the feed and ground wire (short circuit?). The voltage between the feed line and the oven casing is 120 V, the voltage between the ground and oven casing is 120V. The resistance is 0 ohm.
Can the broil element cause a short circuit (this does not make sense to me) or the control board is fried and I need to replace it?
Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When volt testing, put your meter leads on EACH Bake terminal at the same time, and you should read 240 volts, same with broil. Don't measure to ground.

gabwey

Premium Member
For the broil element, when I did that, I measured 0 V across both terminals, which seems weird to me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then check for 240 volts at the main terminal block coming into the machine.

Test for 240 volts at the two outer terminal block wires. Middle wire is Neutral.

gabwey

Premium Member
I came in last night and my wife used the oven without any problems.
I measured the reistance anyway yesterday night to have a base point.
Baking element : 14 ohm
Broil element : 16 ohm
Convection element : 45 ohm.
Temperature sensor : 1480 ohm (the oven was hot).
Now I will wait until the problem happens again and measure the resistance again to see if any of the elements is causing the problem

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

gabwey

Premium Member
The problem happened again, this time I noticed that unplugging the range for some time (about 20 minutes) and replugging it seem to correct the problem. But it does not last. Last time the problem reappeared after 1 week. I also noticed that I did not hear the relay clicking when the element was changing, hence I tend to think that the problem is the control board. Do you think my reasonning is correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I also noticed that I did not hear the relay clicking when the element was changing, hence I tend to think that the problem is the control board. Do you think my reasoning is correct?
Absolutely.:)

gabwey

Premium Member
Just to close this case.
I ended trying to replace both brake and broil relays with parts from Digikey. It seems to have solved the problem. The time required to pre-heat the oven to 350 F went down from about 30 minutes to 10 minutes and the problem did not reappear since.
Thanks to everybody for their help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.