A8520 After brake assembly replacement problems, spin does not stop normally if lid is opened

Charles R. McNeill

Premium Member
Model
A8520
Brand
Maytag
I replaced the brake assembly with a new one because a recommended diagnostic check indicated it was faulty. But then had trouble with it: The assembly became unscrewed, resulting in the entire chain of assembly from brake up though the tubs to become unstable when spinning. I discovered that the retaining clip had come loose. I had used a substitute screw because the original was broken; maybe that was a source of the problem. (But still don't understand why the brake assembly would unscrew by itself.) Anyway, I ended up replacing the clip and screw/bolt with factory parts. I reinstalled the brake assembly with the new clip and bolt.

Tested it. It spins acceptably (no excess vibration) - but upon time-cycle stop, or if the lid is opened, it continues spinning until it loses momentum. Does this mean the brake is now faulty again? Other than the potential hazard for the user, is there any other problem with an inner tub that doesn't stop spinning when the lid is opened?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

but upon time-cycle stop, or if the lid is opened, it continues spinning until it loses momentum. Does this mean the brake is now faulty again?
Could be yes. Might be the placement of the clip on the shaft and the pulley could not ride down to release the brake.

Other than the potential hazard for the user, is there any other problem with an inner tub that doesn't stop spinning when the lid is opened?
No the tub could spin while agitating and wrapping the clothes around the agitator, tearing clothes, leaking water over the top of the tub.

jeff.

Charles R. McNeill

Premium Member
Jeff, thanks – and further questions, sorry for the complication: Could the condition described (no braking of spin at end, or when lid opened) be caused by incorrect positioning of the "drive lug" in relationship to "pulley lug"? I was having trouble interpreting what the old service manual says. Their diagram is not very clear to me. (See attached, below.)

The actual instruction text seems to say that the 1/4-3/8" gap should be there when the pulley is rotated clockwise (viewed from bottom) to the point of strong resistance. But when I set the positions shown in the diagram, with pulley held to point of resistance, here's what I see: The thickness of the drive and pulley lugs do not match up, with the drive lug (the removable small piece) sitting at about half-thickness above (as viewed from below) the pulley lug. Does that sound wrong?

When I did this operation previously, I had some play in the pulley movement, so rotation within that 3/8" or so gap was rotation with no resistance. I later realized this is not what the text says, but then it did not result in the brake problem I seem to have now.

Another issue, maybe related: The correct position of the entire brake assembly, as to how it is screwed in. It seems odd to me that it would be designed not to be screwed in all the way. I'm understanding that several threads should be left out and visible, and that the retainer clip should engage into the last 1 or 2 threads (meaning outer-most threads, closest to brake body). Is that correct?

View attachment Service Manual A8500 A8200 A818520 A8240 A8140 A5910 A7300-1 63.pdf

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
I'm understanding that several threads should be left out and visible, and that the retainer clip should engage into the last 1 or 2 threads (meaning outer-most threads, closest to brake body). Is that correct?
Yupper.

The actual instruction text seems to say that the 1/4-3/8" gap should be there when the pulley is rotated clockwise (viewed from bottom) to the point of strong resistance.
Easy. from underneath move the pulley CW install it stops or has resistance, hold the pulley there and install the clip 3/8" behind the lug on the pulley. Moving the pulley CCW and the lug should contact the clip. Moving the pulley CW and it should not contact the clip.

jeff.

Charles R. McNeill

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. I had gone ahead and reworked this installation before I saw this most recent response, and this time understood it better and everything is working normally and smoothly. In case it may help someone else in the future: If the lug is installed with the pulley having been rotated CW with excessive tightness, so when letting off the rotation pressure it wants to rotate CCW with noticeable spring pressure when contacting the 1/4-3/8"-spaced lug, here's what happens: When the washer goes into agitate cycle, it does not agitate.

The entire inner tub just spins, but more slowly and in the opposite direction of normal spin-dry spinning. That is in addition to the original issue noticed, that there is no braking action upon stop of cycle or lifting lid.

jeff1

Staff member
Glad you got somewhere with it :)

jeff.