• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ABB2224BRB00 Amana Upright refrigerator/bottom freezer stopped getting cold but everything works

rk396

Premium Member
Model Number
ABB2224BRB00
Brand
Amana
So I've got a bottom freezer refrigerator, model ABB2224BRB00 that stopped working a few days ago. The unit is only 4 years old. Here's the deal: The compressor runs, both the evap and conds. fans run, and the evap coil is not frosted over. I pulled the evap cover off and after it's been running for a bit (from a warm condition) the inlet to the coil frosts over but that's it. The remaining coil is warm. Also the condensor coil never gets hot. I checked the various combinations of pins on the compressor and the resistances seem to check out. The start relay and capacitor both seem to be functioning, as the compressor does run. After it's been running and i unplug the unit, there are some albeit faint noises coming from the unit, which i believe would indicate that there is some refrigerant still in the system.

It's acting as if there's a plug in the refrigerant line, or the refrigerant leaked out or the compressor is not working properly, but i wanted to ask around to see if maybe there's something i'm missing.

One question i do have is if a faulty start relay can make the compressor turn on, but maybe somehow limit the current so that the compressor isn't functioning at full capacity.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

One question i do have is if a faulty start relay can make the compressor turn on, but maybe somehow limit the current so that the compressor isn't functioning at full capacity.
Nope, You have a sealed system problem, check your owners manual warranty, some models have 5 yrs. parts and labor warranty on it.

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
For one year from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or furnished with the product, Amana brand of Whirlpool Corporation or Whirlpool Canada LP (hereafter “Amana”) will pay for factory specified parts and repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship that existed when this major appliance was purchased. Service must be provided by an Amana designated service company. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE PRODUCT REPAIR AS PROVIDED HEREIN. This limited warranty is valid only in the United States or Canada and applies only when the major appliance is used in the country in which it was purchased. Proof of original purchase date is required to obtain service under this limited warranty.

rk396

Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. that's what i was afraid of.

I did see that it's just a one year warranty. so a couple follow up questions.

When i started diagnosing the problem i noticed the cond. coil was packed with pet hair and other debris. Is it possible this was what caused the leak? evap coil overheated maybe?

Is this something worth trying to fix? I'm on the fence about bringing someone in to confirm. I'm thinking the cost to repair is on the order of ~half the cost of a new fridge, anyone have a feel for that?

I'm also assuming that this really is something that needs to be done by a pro, and not just a guy with some knowledge and a lot of tools.

thanks again for the help.

Jason

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When i started diagnosing the problem i noticed the cond. coil was packed with pet hair and other debris. Is it possible this was what caused the leak? evap coil overheated maybe?
Yes, possibly.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Is this something worth trying to fix?
Yes, if the price they quote you to fix it is less than half the price of a new refrigerator.

I'm also assuming that this really is something that needs to be done by a pro, and not just a guy with some knowledge and a lot of tools.
Yes, you will need a licensed refrigeration tech to do this for you, there is a lot involved repairing sealed systems and replacing compressors.

Jake