ACQ184XM0 Whirlpool ac unit not working

karip

Premium Member
Model Number
ACQ184XM0
Brand
Whirlpool
my unit powers on but nothing happens. It even attempts to turn on , you can hear the click like its going to turn on but then nothing happens. The inside was very dirty I did my best to clean what I could without taking it apart. Any suggestions?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the control is getting power but not operating any of the functions, the problem is likely in the control itself. I don't know if the control has a 'sticking' relay or the control is actually defective. The control # 1186193 has been discontinued and a replacement will be difficult to find if needed... if possible at all.

The inside was very dirty I did my best to clean what I could without taking it apart. Any suggestions?
That will have done little to help its functioning. There will be 10x the dirt inside it (mainly plugging the condenser coil). It has to be disassembled to do any useful cleaning but that is unnecessary until it actually runs.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

karip

Premium Member
If the control is getting power but not operating any of the functions, the problem is likely in the control itself. I don't know if the control has a 'sticking' relay or the control is actually defective. The control # 1186193 has been discontinued and a replacement will be difficult to find if needed... if possible at all.

That will have done little to help its functioning. There will be 10x the dirt inside it (mainly plugging the condenser coil). It has to be disassembled to do any useful cleaning but that is unnecessary until it actually runs.

JMO

Dan O.
so I just need to replace the whole unit? the control gets power and will adjust settings (fan mode temo settings) but nothing happens

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
so I just need to replace the whole unit?
The electronic control is likely responsible, yes. When defective the whole control would usually need to be replaced, yes. Unfortunately, that part for your model had been discontinued and does not appear to be available through regular sources.

You can try disconnecting and reconnecting power to the unit to see if the control resets. There usually isn't anything else that can be done to reset it.

JMO