Adding a new relay to 1950's GE Refrigerator

PateFam

Premium Member
I have a quick question regarding a hotwire to solid state drawing that I have seen posted on here before (copied it below from rickgburton). My current GE fridge....Got it yesterday from my grandparents basement, I have no idea the year (9M018854 is imprinted on the inside of the fridge box and the metal plate by the fan says FH-83-AD16, so if those help you out great!!) I have worked electrical for a number of summers in college as an apprentice so I figured I knew what to do when installing a new relay.

Turns out I was wrong.. haha. Thankfully I found those diagrams that have helped a ton however I have a question on what to do with the three wires coming from the compressor and fan. There is a Black, White and a Green.... from my days that means Power, Neutral and Ground. An old fan motor Diagram (see attached) states the Back is Common, White is Start and Green is Run for the compressor and fan. How in the world would I hook those up to the new Supco 410 start kit (old relay crumbled in my hands when trying to troubleshoot the non starting). Any additional information would be great to get this family heirloom up and going

Thanks Everyone

Attachments

G

Here's a Hotpoint relay and complete wiring diagram, minus the fan, from my 1950 Hotpoint Service Manual. Hotpoint and GE were basically the same, with different badges. When the compressor starts up the start and run windings are connected together at the relay. As the compressor motor comes up to speed the relay pulls the start winding out of the circuit. That's why you have 3 wires going to the compressor and the fan motor. The third wire is not a ground wire. It's for the starting winding. While you're there, oil the fan motor too. You'll see one or two oil holes on it. Two or three drops of SAE 20 electric motor oil is good for that. Hope that helps!

Attachments

PateFam

Premium Member
UPDATE
Thanks for all the information.. I was able to get the 3 in 1 installed and the compressor fired right up, but the fan did not. I am able to move the fan freely with my hand, however it seems loose. I am able to move the head of the fan forward and back and it makes a noise, a noise that I hear when I turn the unit off. Compressor runs strong, within a few hours the freezer had good frost and the fridge got to 38 degrees. With the fan inoperable I brought in a little house fan and put it by the coils and the temperature in the unit dropped to 34 in the fridge in no time. With the significant change I went to the temperature control and got no click when I dialed it back... I even brought it all the way off and it did not turn off the compressor. So I have two new issues. 1) Fan not working 2) Thermometer control not working. Could it be the wiring? or are both the fan and temperature control in need of replacement? I followed the wiring from my initial post with one change... I pitiable the compressor and fan wires together on the three wires from the new 3in1 relay. Also when I shut it off I get a good banging noise, what can that be attributed too

Thanks for all of your help everyone