Admiral ATW4676BQ1 Washer Not Spinning

Mezmaron

Premium Member
Model Number
ATW4676BQ1
Brand
Admiral
So we started noticing our clothes being sopping wet at the end of the washer cycle, and have determined that the washer tub isn't spinning when it hits the spin cycle. I'm hoping my description of what I found so far helps narrow down the problem, as my experience at working on clothes washers is a little limited, though I'm no stranger at all to DIY repairs and tearing into things.

I verified that the lid switch is functioning. The tub moves freely and easily. I leaned the washer back and checked out some components underneath. The belt seems fine, I couldn't make it slip at all. The main pulley makes the drum rotate when moved. I took the guard off and got to the actuator, and disconnected the plastic coupling so I could manually switch the lever thing that went into the plastic under the big pulley, which I assume is the clutch, and flipping it to the other position disengages the pulley to where it rotates without rotating the tub. Flipping it back to its original position engages it to spinning the tub again. Is this normal?

When ran through a cycle, it agitates during the wash cycle just fine. The water seems to drain alright. When it gets to the spin cycle you hear a lot of noise, of which I can't tell if it's something rattling or if it's just the drain pump. The noise doesn't quite sound like any kind of grinding, but it's really hard to discern what it might be.

I found out how to put it into diagnostics mode and ran a test cycle. I think I got error codes, but I couldn't find a site that had them all listed and thus I'm not sure what it is. All lights except for the Lid Lock light blink twice in a row, stop, and then blink twice again, and it more or less just keeps repeating that.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm hesitating before ripping it apart further in hopes of getting some idea of what I'm getting into with this thing. Would also appreciate it if someone could point me to a site that has the error codes.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Mezmaron said:
.....put it into diagnostics mode and ran a test cycle.
I don't have the tech sheet for that model. Your tech sheet should be in the console or taped to the inside of the front panel. That will have all your error codes. Tell me how you got into the diagnostic mode and I might be able to tell you what the blinking LEDs are. I don't know if this will work. Try going into diagnostic cycle then turn the cycle select knob until just the "done" led is lit. Then press start. This is error code mode.

Mezmaron

Premium Member
I got into the diagnostics mode by turning the dial L, R, R, R, L, R. I then clicked one more time to the right for what I thought was the mode to get the codes. I don't remember which light was lit at that point, but I'll check it out again when I get home from work this evening. I did see some papers up inside of it, I'll have to grab them out of it next time I get into it.

Mezmaron

Premium Member
Thanks for the tech sheet!

So tonight I ran it through a test cycle, and then checked the error code again. It was the same as before, all lights except the Lock Lid light flash together twice, and it just repeats that over and over.

I then went into manual test mode and went specifically for the spin cycle tests. Lo and behold, it actually spun! The higher speed spin test didn't sound as intense as I thought it should, but it didn't prompt any kind of error code as far as I know. So just for the heck of it, I put a small load of clothes in and ran a normal cycle. Afterwards, the clothes were soaking wet, so it's still not working right.

So I'm guessing it spins fine without a load, but get water and some clothes in there, and it doesn't. Also, not sure if it's relevant or normal, but another thing I thought was odd was how in the manual test mode, I could not get the lid to unlock after the spin tests. Even minutes after the tub surely stopped spinning, when I'd try to unlock it through the manual test mode, the lights would just flash. I had to unplug the washer and plug it back in to get it to unlock after each spin test.

Mezmaron

Premium Member
What about error code mode?
Like I said, error code mode just does the same thing it did last night: All lights except the Lid Lock light blink together twice, a couple seconds later, they blink twice again, and it just repeats this over and over.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Mezmaron

Premium Member
If this is what the symptoms point to, then I'll probably just replace the whole washer with a used one that I can probably get cheaper.